What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hot #3 fix

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
I can’t take credit for this, but I saw the idea at Sun N Fun this year sitting next to a prominent engine builder’s booth who endorsed the idea, so I tried it and it works! (See center divider baffle)
I’ve been fighting a hot #3 CHT in climb for years and have done all the baffle tricks that can be found here on VAF with minimal results. This one nailed it. My CHT’s are now within 8 degrees of each other on climb and line up perfectly in cruise.

Attachments

• CF7A6E99-01B2-4B40-9B68-159E87921407.jpg
    CF7A6E99-01B2-4B40-9B68-159E87921407.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 316
Ive fought a hot #3 as well and tried the normal fixes. Someone else mentioned trying this. Any idea why it works?

Ive fought a hot #3 as well and tried the normal fixes. Someone else mentioned trying this. Any idea why it works?

The only thing that comes to mind is the oil cooler probably flows a lot of air and robs the #3 side of the engine. One thing I did not do before this is try blocking the oil cooler somewhat. You might give that a try first.

I can’t take credit for this, but I saw the idea at Sun N Fun this year sitting next to a prominent engine builder’s booth who endorsed the idea, so I tried it and it works! (See center divider baffle)
I’ve been fighting a hot #3 CHT in climb for years and have done all the baffle tricks that can be found here on VAF with minimal results. This one nailed it. My CHT’s are now within 8 degrees of each other on climb and line up perfectly in cruise.

That is an interesting way of getting extra cooling on #3. Glad you shared it.

Here is something that I have watched and gives an explanation and a fix to better cool #3. Here is the YouTube video link from Stu's Aircraft Factory. Baffling install Part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJarbIjIhDQ

Wouldn't the air pressure in the #3 (right) side just blow past the seal to reach the #2/#4/oil cooler side? Yes, it would with the baffle seal that way.

Back