What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 firewall rivet length

RV8Bob

Does anyone know why there is a callout for two different rivet lengths on the firewall corner mount location? From what I can tell the material thickness is the same.

Attachments

• 8BD7BB0D-93BF-4C18-A175-5972680BBE23.jpg
    8BD7BB0D-93BF-4C18-A175-5972680BBE23.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 90
Does anyone know why there is a callout for two different rivet lengths on the firewall corner mount location? From what I can tell the material thickness is the same.

I don't remember that particular call out. But, I did find a couple of rivet call outs that were inconsistent, or for one reason or another, I went with a longer or shorter rivet.

I just use a rivet gauge when in doubt. At this point, most of the time I can tell just by looking at it if I need to go up or down in length.

I don't remember that particular call out. But, I did find a couple of rivet call outs that were inconsistent, or for one reason or another, I went with a longer or shorter rivet.

I just use a rivet gauge when in doubt. At this point, most of the time I can tell just by looking at it if I need to go up or down in length.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I thought but I always second guess myself when I see something like that. The ideal length for a rivet in that spot would be a -6.5 but Van’s doesn’t provide that length so I guess they give the option.

Rivet cutter

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I thought but I always second guess myself when I see something like that. The ideal length for a rivet in that spot would be a -6.5 but Van’s doesn’t provide that length so I guess they give the option.

Not the 8, but I recall cutting a lot of rivets on firewall parts. I tend to go long but some callout were too long for me.

Back