What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power PPS

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have the PPS (primary power source) from Vertical Power planned for my -14A, in fact, its mounted on the firewall. Any tthoughts regarding this being a potential single point of failure for my electrical system?

It works

I've got one on my 7 and it works great. The standard master and start relay are single points of failure too. The single point of failure idea will drive you crazy. Just build as designed and you'll be happy.

I have the PPS (primary power source) from Vertical Power planned for my -14A, in fact, its mounted on the firewall. Any tthoughts regarding this being a potential single point of failure for my electrical system?

If you're really worried about it, you could install an emergency isolate function that cuts out the PPS/VPX boxes in the event of a failure. This could provide an essential bus to power a nav/com, and maybe the autopilot, directly from the aircraft battery, with automotive fuses for circuit protection. For glass cockpit, you should have separate "backup" batteries for PFD and EMS anyway.

Last edited:
There are many single point of failures in our planes, engine and prop be two prime example.
I think you might want to think
- How high of a risk is it
- Is there an easy way to minimize that risk

The use of VP has two concerns for me.
1- putting all my eggs in one basket
2- Be dependent on VP to be in business and provide support. Many have already been burnt once.

So, my plane does not have it and can not think of reason that it will ever have it.

If...

If you dig down far enough, you can ALWAYS find a single point failure.

It is about risk mitigation and everyone's level of risk aversion is different.

Once the alternator is turning fast enough, it is a backup for the the battery contactor.
If the battery contactor opens during flight, the pilot won't know it until the RPM is reduced.
Of course one would not want to experience that on an instrument approach.

Once the alternator is turning fast enough, it is a backup for the the battery contactor.
If the battery contactor opens during flight, the pilot won't know it until the RPM is reduced.
Of course one would not want to experience that on an instrument approach.

For those assuming proper alternator operation without a battery on line, I recommend you carefully test this backup mode before you have the need for it.

Carl

Back