What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What fans fit here

CJT

I purchased partially built RV 10 project

The previous builder put these vents for avionics/ defrost

I am unable to find what fans would fit here
Need help

Thanks

Attachments

• 721B4389-9681-48D1-ACE9-C4220A17642C.jpg
    721B4389-9681-48D1-ACE9-C4220A17642C.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 154
Most electronics fans are square or “box” fans. Standard sizes are 40, 60, 80 or 120mm for example. There are other types called squirrel cage fans that are more rectangular. Another possibility is that maybe the previous builder was planning to build some sort of ducting behind the vents you are showing.

I purchased partially built RV 10 project

The previous builder put these vents for avionics/ defrost

I am unable to find what fans would fit here
Need help

Thanks

If the previous builder is still alive, it would be in your best interest to stay in contact with them until your build is complete..

I wanted a more directional defrost on the screen too so I used one of those diffusers as well - with a fan mounted on the sub panel.
3D printed up a shroud to join them.
Only been used in anger once but it is very effective.
The fan is a Comair Rotron Whiffet series.
I’ll try find the exact PN.

31F758CA-92A1-49F7-8B1C-5AEDF813A780.jpg

47B85B96-59FA-49CB-8AD1-7D16A387A743.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!

I have had a dream of these from early in my build stage, but never found any diffusers. This is the first I have seen in 10 yrs. Thanks for your research and posts.

I did find fans - best luck on electronics supply company sites. Mine is a 1"X2" outlet squirrel cage radial fan. Good pressure capability and flow.

Defrost is really defog and on the clear sky days with ~10F air temps air I have had dense fog form in my tip up on a handful of occasions. Once, so much as to have to hold the canopy up with engine running to get it dissipated to see for take-off.

Time to revisit the location and duct routing for my 7.

Impressive work, guys!!

I wanted a more directional defrost on the screen too so I used one of those diffusers as well - with a fan mounted on the sub panel.
3D printed up a shroud to join them.
Only been used in anger once but it is very effective.
The fan is a Comair Rotron Whiffet series.
I’ll try find the exact PN.
View attachment 43458
View attachment 43459

I hope you're planning to install backshells to those "D" connectors. They need the strain relief.

I hope you're planning to install backshells to those "D" connectors. They need the strain relief.

Very early in the wiring process those photos.
This is closer to the finish.
That antenna coax in the lightening hole is just sitting there out of the way. That’s not it’s real home.

View attachment 43598

Attachments

• 8DE42C27-B625-40E2-ACFF-80DA17DCDF8B.jpg
    8DE42C27-B625-40E2-ACFF-80DA17DCDF8B.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 58
Back