What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Fatal Accident, N977RV, 6/2/2023, near Kearney, NE

RV8JD

Well Known Member
RV-7 fatal accident, N977RV, 6/2/2023, near Kearney, NE.

From the Aviation Safety Network: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/314691
"On June 2, 2023, at about 0910 local time, an experimentally built Van’s RV-7, N977RV, was destroyed when it impacted wooded terrain about 12 miles southeast of Kearney Regional Airport (EAR/KEAR), Kearney, Nebraska.
The sole pilot sustained fatal injuries."​
NTSB Preliminary Report: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/192292/pdf

-----------------------------
This RV-7 was involved in a previous accident, colliding with an RV-8 on the ground while landing in formation at Oshkosh on 7/23/2021. Both airplanes sustained substantial damage. There were no injuries. Link to the NTSB's Final Report:

43239667711_203bbfb478_c.jpg

RIP.

Last edited:
N977RV

Distinct paint job. He was at KEIK several days ago. I saw him taxiing out to depart 34 and got out the binoculars to see if it was a -6 or -7. The Flightaware track looked like trouble. The initial report indicated heavy rain in the area.

Be safe out there....

Let's be patient

Due to the FlightAware track it's going to be easy to quickly form opinions about this accident. But we need to observe the VAF prohibition on speculation and make sure this thread doesn't go off the rails.

Condolences to the family as they deal with this tragedy.

Sad Sorry to Hear

ADS-B data is pretty amazing in general, and useful in accident investigations. More will be known after final NTSB report is released.

My condolences to family and friends of pilot.

Very sad

I saw that flightaware track the morning it happened and there was significant radar returns displayed that I dont see on this version.
Is that normal?

Cm

The RV Community

Due to the FlightAware track it's going to be easy to quickly form opinions about this accident. But we need to observe the VAF prohibition on speculation and make sure this thread doesn't go off the rails.

Well said. We need to not assume we think we know what happened here as we really don't know. What we do know is that we lost a fellow pilot. We lost one of our RV Community members. Any aviation accident always hits home but one like this affects our RV Community seemingly harder as it is closer to home. Having seen this airplane leave our airport just days ago has left a hollow feeling in my chest.

The likely cause will come out eventually. Hopefully, we will know enough we can learn from what happened. If for no other reason, this is what we can do to honor this pilot. His passing hopefully will teach us how to be better pilots.

Condolences to the family as they deal with this tragedy.
Our Community sends the same.

I saw that flightaware track the morning it happened and there was significant radar returns displayed that I dont see on this version.
Is that normal?

Cm

It looks to me like the weather shown on that flight track is current weather, not what was present during the flight.

Speculation or opinion does not mean wrong. I understand the rules of forum and I abide.... However as pilots your own private thoughts and conclusions may be useful to you.... just not expressed on the forum. Which is fine.

Not in regards to this aircraft and pilot loss, in general sometimes things are obvious.

I have been to 3 NTSB accident on site investigations, as industry assist (representing airline). You get briefed not to speculate, not to talk to people (except the NTSB in charge). There are reasons for that. You are there to collect data, evidence, provide your assistance and analysis in your expertise, and it all goes thorough the NTSB. Even though in all three cases cause was apparent fairly quickly, you did not discuss it or come to conclusions.

Of the 3:
Aircraft was extensively damaged and repairable for a few million, crew OK. Pilot error in setting zero fuel weight resulting in too low approach speed.

Aircraft was damaged beyond repair due to gear failure, crew OK. Structural failure from fatigue and improper overhaul of gear.

Aircraft total loss and loss of crew. Crew member flying (F/O) flew plane into ground with abrupt and near full nose down input, due to spatial disorientation while in IMC below 10,000. Captain could not correct in time.

All reports are out for these three for quite sometime. If you want to know which ones don't ask here in this thread, PM me. However they all happened in the last 11 years and all part 121 and 2 made the evening news.

Last edited:
NTSB Preliminary Report

NTSB Preliminary Report: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/192292/pdf

Excerpt:
"On June 2, 2023, at about 0907 Central Daylight Time, a Vans RV-7, N977RV, was destroyed when it was involved in an accident in Gibbon, Nebraska. The pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) data revealed that the airplane departed Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (BJC), Denver, Colorado, at 0610 and proceeded direct toward Red Oak Municipal Airport (RDK), Red Oak, Iowa. The pilot filed an instrument flight plan. About two hours after departure from BJC, at an altitude of 15,000 ft mean sea level (msl), the pilot requested a lower altitude from air traffic control (ATC) due to encountering ice. The controller gave the pilot a block altitude between 11,000 and 15,000 ft msl, and the pilot began a descent. Shortly after the pilot began his descent, the controller advised him that there was “extreme precipitation” in the area. About one minute later, the controller told the pilot that he was permitted a lower altitude if he wished to continue to descend. There was no further response from the pilot.

Dashboard camera footage from a car traveling east bound on Interstate 80, captured the airplane descending in a nose-down attitude. The airplane impacted an open grassy area surrounded by trees about 260 ft south of the interstate. The debris field was generally aligned on a 257° heading, and the main wreckage came to rest upright. Ground scaring at the accident site confirmed that the airplane was in a nose-down attitude when it struck the ground. The initial impact point consisted of a two-foot deep crater with the propeller embedded in it. The propeller was still intact at the hub; however, it was separated from the engine flange.

The dashboard board camera footage also revealed that it was raining heavily at the time of the accident with a low overcast cloud layer. Weather radar images at the time of the accident depicted heavy precipitation and thunderstorms in the vicinity.

This information is preliminary and subject to change."​

Last edited:
Back