What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HD pin crimping

rwarre

Well Known Member
Putting on the hi density pins on the wires for the config module that sits in the back shell. (G3X) The crimper works fine but the wires pull out of the crimped pin. If I fold the wire over itself I can get the crimp to hold. Thinking about soldering these tiny wires. Anyone else have the issue?

Those wires are too small even for HD pins. It is OK to fold them over or use some additional strands to help fill the socket. These wires are subject to very little abuse after the connector is assembled.

solder halfway

For really fine wire. strip back and add a wee bit of solder to the very end, let the solder wick in the wire but only at the very end.

Cut the wire cleanly where the solder wick ends leaving 1/8" of soldered wire to slip into the pin, then crimp the soldered part inside the pin. This will give the necessary width for the crimp to hold but not so much as to create a fracture point from vibration, which will happen if to much of the soldered section protrudes

When using an AFM8, a different positioner is called out for HD pins.
Then the tool dial is set for the wire gauge being used.

Can't speak to other tools.

Get the proper crimper, they are not all the same. Solder is to be avoided in aircraft due to vibration.

Get the proper crimper, they are not all the same. Solder is to be avoided in aircraft due to vibration.

Solder is fine when harnesses are properly supported. Every pin and socket on an F-16 is soldered, and there are over a thousand of each in the airplane. Every ring terminal in the three breaker panels are soldered too...

Putting on the hi density pins on the wires for the config module that sits in the back shell. (G3X) The crimper works fine but the wires pull out of the crimped pin. If I fold the wire over itself I can get the crimp to hold. Thinking about soldering these tiny wires. Anyone else have the issue?

Back when I installed my G3X with GSU 73, the connector kit contained 4 pins which had a smaller hole specifically for the config module wires. That way you could leave the crimper in the 22ga position for those tiny wires.

Back when I installed my G3X with GSU 73, the connector kit contained 4 pins which had a smaller hole specifically for the config module wires. That way you could leave the crimper in the 22ga position for those tiny wires.

I tried this just a few months ago using the sockets that came with the Garmin config modules and the red crimper Stein sells, and the 28 AWG wires pulled out with just the slightest tug.

After I borrowed a Daniel's crimper and HD positioner, the crimp was much more secure.

Hello,

As explained in section 1.5.2 Contact and Crimp Tools of the current Rev. AS G3X/G3X Touch Installation manual, the configuration module installation kit for the configuration module used in the backshell of the GDU 4XX display includes 4 size 20 contacts (Garmin P/N 336-00022-01) specially sized (heavy wall) for the smaller 28 AWG wire used for the configuration module wiring.

As also explained in this section, you can use crimp setting 6 on an AFM-8 crimp tool. This setting is normally specified for 22 AWG wire in size 20 contacts, but the heavy wall (and small wire hole) in the 336-00022-01 contacts allows these contacts to make secure crimps on 28 AWG wire when using AFM-8 setting 6 with the K13-1 positioner.

K13-1 Crimp Settings.png

While the above sounds complicated, it is not. When building the small configuration module harness, just use the 4 special contacts included in the configuration module installation kit and crimp the contacts as if the wire size was 22 AWG.

I have built a bunch of these configuration module harnesses, and never had a problem with a loose connection and never needed to bend over or otherwise double up the wire (or solder).

Steve

I believe that the proper positioners in an AFM8 for *high density* pins and sockets are K42 and K40, respectively (per the DMC Tooling Guide), not K13-1.

YMMV, but IMO, use the right tool for the right job.

E.g., K42 for use with M39029/58-360 high-density Dsub pins:

k42_images_k42_2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that the proper positioners in an AFM8 for *high density* pins and sockets are K42 and K40, respectively (per the DMC Tooling Guide), not K13-1.

YMMV, but IMO, use the right tool for the right job.

E.g., K42 for use with M39029/58-360 high-density Dsub pins:

k42_images_k42_2.jpg
Yes, you are correct, but if the OP is really mounting a configuration module in the backshell of a Garmin G3X/G3X Touch display, then the contact is a low density size 20 which uses the K13-1 positioner.

Steve

Yes, you are correct, but if the OP is really mounting a configuration module in the backshell of a Garmin G3X/G3X Touch display, then the contact is a low density size 20 which uses the K13-1 positioner.

Steve

That's true if they're regular density pins. I was just going by what the OP said, which was high density.

The DMC Tooling Guide is available on-line, and lists the proper crimp positioner for any conceivable pin (D-Sub, high density D-Sub, Coax, Deutsch, etc.).

Back