What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen fiberglass fairing

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I saw this on a rocket. After reading threads for an hour, i was thinking of how it’s done.

I like the idea of a fairing that could be removed and reused in the event the windscreen needed replacing.

Here is how I think it would be done.

Fit and drill windscreen for screws. No rivets.
Proseal (I have a fresh can on hand) using screws to hold in place.
Remove screws and glass the frame.
Pop the frame off, trim and sand. And fill those micro pores of course.
Apply a thin bead of proseal around the perimeter of the fairing frame and screw in place.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-4444.jpg
    IMG-4444.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Windshield trim

Mine was a separate layup. Sikaflexed in place. Not super easy to remove, but it can be removed.
20221031_130921.jpg

I wouldn't want to do anything that meant more screw holes in the canopy - just more opportunities for cracks.

Personally I'd stick with the traditional way if I were to build another - my -6 slider has 24 years on it and no cracks. If it ever happens, I'll suck it up and do the fiberglass work - hey I did it once didn't I? :D

Sikaflex All the Way!

Mine is Sika'd in with carbon-epoxy up front as per plans. Two weeks work start to finish at this point at about 5hrs/day so 50 hrs. Cracked the first canopy using stupidity in place of skill, and didn't want to repeat.:)

Removing this canopy from the frame would be a major project. It is IN THERE! But, of course, it could be done without destroying the frame with some effort.

Canopy Faring P400 Sanded.jpg

Last edited:
Back