What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPS 175 support brackets for sale?

markserbu

Based on the Garmin 175 installation manual, I modeled up this bracket in CAD. I have a full machine shop and could easily make parts like this, but I don't WANT to. Is there a company that makes simple little trinkets like this?

Garmin175SupportBracket1.JPG

Garmin175SupportBracket2.JPG

Well, I'm surprised at the huge lack of interest in these brackets. I went ahead and made some. I used a buddy's water jet machine to cut them out and I did the other work in my shop. They came out really nice and if there were any interest I could easily make a lot of these at a decent price. So if you know anyone....

Funny, before I took a sheet of .040" aluminum, designed something out of it, cut it, machined it, deburred it and riveted nut plates to it, I didn't really get the attraction of building an airplane. I mean...I build mechanical stuff for a living so it's not like I can't relate. But there's something about the 1,000 little details involved in making and joining all those parts. So many processes, so many little micro-creations into one big one. And it's not just fitting one part into another and screwing them together. Well sometimes, sure. But lots of the tasks require some skill and some finesse. Your sense of accomplishment comes not only from knowing how to do the task, but being ABLE to do it!

IMG_9249.jpeg

Back