What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stiffener holes R-915 don't line up

hk1232

Any idea what I'm missing with the R-915 rudder stiffener positioning on my RV-9? The holes in the stiffeners only line up on the skin if I position it the "Wrong" way.

Vans note in DW-7 (photo attached) says to trim excess material from the front side of the piece. When I clecco in the stiffeners, the holes only line up if I have the excess on the aft side of the piece.

R-915 pieces don't appear to fit differently whether I'm using the left or right half the the pieces that were separated.

See attached images of the positioning on the right skin - both the wrong way (by my reading of the instructions) and the way that seems to fit.
  • Image 1 - DWG-7 note
  • Image 2 - all excess is aft on the right skin - holes line up
  • Image 3 - excess is on the front side - zoom in and see holes to not line up
  • Image 4 - excess is on the aft side - zoom in and holes line up

Attachments

• DWG-7 Notes on R-915 rudder stiffener.png
    DWG-7 Notes on R-915 rudder stiffener.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 76
  • right skin - all holes line up but trim would be from the aft side.jpg
    right skin - all holes line up but trim would be from the aft side.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 146
  • right skin - holes do not line up when done the right way with excess material on the front side.jpg
    right skin - holes do not line up when done the right way with excess material on the front side.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 93
  • right skin - zoom in to see holes line up when done the wrong way.jpg
    right skin - zoom in to see holes line up when done the wrong way.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 122
Foolish me!

The 10th time I looked at the diagram and scratched my head I finally caught this. I was laying it out correctly -- had my front and aft side swapped in the diagram!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.29.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.29.05 PM.png
    440.3 KB · Views: 124
Glad you got it figured out. I remember having to really scratch my head over these stiffeners as well! For the longest time I would have sworn that something was punched wrong. Once the layout clicked, magically it all fit together perfectly though.

Back