What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you do your run-up with the canopy open?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I see lots of YouTube vids of guys in 8s running up with the canopy open. I find that mine rattles like crazy if I leave it open.

Just like Carl - low speed, low power, canopy open on the ground. It gets a might frenetic at run-up to have it open, and I am going to close it ten seconds later for takeoff anyway, so I close it first. I have done run-ups with the canopy open, and there doesn;t seem to be anything wrong with it - just more going on than I need at that time.

After forgetting to latch it a few times, I now consider anything above idle to be a "flight event" so I have the airplane cleaned up by that point.

Plus it rattles like crazy!

I have two intermediate latches, one halfway open and one leaving the canopy open only a couple of inches.
Obviously depending on weather, start and taxi to the run-up area can be either half or fully open (fully open only if there's a passenger and he/she agrees).
Run-up can be done with the smaller opening. When it's half or completly open, it doesn't rattle but the noise and "wind" is very anoying so I don't do it.
I have a "Canopy: Closed and Latched" in my Pre Take-Off Checklist.

Back