What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron hinge bracket rivets

fra150l

I'm New Here
I have an early RV8 slow build wing kit.

The OUTBOARD aileron hinge bracket was already riveted together with bearing. When I cam to fit it to the wing the rivet holes to rear spar were there but there are no rivet holes for row of rivets for W-414 to wing outboard rib W712.

Parts are shown on Drawing 13A and 10A. I have searched other drawings for rivet positions but found nothing. I have 'worked out' positions but hesitate as I find it unusual Vans have not put this detail in the plans. Have checked on line for new plans as this is such an old kit.

Hesitating as I now wonder if I am missing something.... Did email Vans support 4 weeks ago but no reply so far.

What have you done??

Thanks for suggestions & help.

Tim

I just did this

The holes are match-drilled into the rib. The end rib is the same part# as other ribs throughout the wing therefore Vans does not pre-punch those holes since the only place they are needed is in the rib installed on the end.

Tip: Make sure to square up the bracket to the rear spar prior to match-drilling those holes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 8.01.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 8.01.15 AM.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 210
My W414 does not have the holes in it to match drill to the rib. These are the holes I am querying about.

My apologies.

That's a head scratcher. If it were me, I would lay out the holes with the appropriate edge distance, drill, deburr, and install. Mine is a new kit and the holes were prepunched in that part.

Good luck!

It could be that you temporary bolt the bracket to the spar using the AD3 bolts and match drill the rivet holes to the ribs.

It is crucial to getting those holes precisely so your aileron is in the correct position.

If it was me, I would by a new set of brackets that is already pre punched. Either build a whole new set or at least use those to transfer the holes to the new bracket. I can't imagine it will cost that much or that much time and certainly a safer bet as oppose to possibly have a misaligned aileron.

Rivet locations

Here is a pic of those rivets on the plans (dwg 16) for a -6 with the same part numbers (wings are very similar to -8). My aileron brackets were not pre-drilled either and I think I probably used the plywood templates to hold the aileron in the correct position while drilling through the bracket to the wing rib.

Attachments

• 20220901_073026.jpg
    20220901_073026.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 182
Back