camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2022, 09:02 AM

I love the idea of small turbines for many reasons;
- jet A is cheaper and way easier to find and cheaper which is only going to get more exaggerated as 100LL gets completely phased out
-reliability, longer TBOs, better cold starts, negligible warm up and cool down time
-you can fly much faster longer. No shock cooling allows you to stay higher longer with steeper descents. You can maintain a fast speed throughout the entire patter until Id imagine less than 3 mile final
Old 09-27-2022, 10:30 AM

Thank you for that, I didn't realize you guys had a thread. The progress looks great I'm super excited to see it flying. An RV-8A would be a great option. With that engine it would be like a mini T-6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec@TurbAero View Post
You are correct in that there will be changes necessary in order to retrofit the Talon. We will be working, ideally in conjunction with Van's, to develop FWF packages for RV's to make this swap as seamless as possible.

We will be detailing the install of the Talon on our RV7T (turbine RV-7A) - we have a build thread on this forum (https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=208523) as well as a YouTube series documenting the work going into it. As we progress, you will be able to follow along and see what would be required to install a Talon on similar airframes.

In terms of advantages..... performance, reliability and maintenance, TBO, NVH, fuel used. We have always promoted that the engine will not necessarily be for everyone, and it depends on your typical mission - for those that like to fly high and fly fast, would prefer to run Jet-A, like the sound/smoothness/reliability of a turbine etc. it will be a very viable alternative.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebert View Post
I love the idea of small turbines for many reasons;
- jet A is cheaper and way easier to find and cheaper which is only going to get more exaggerated as 100LL gets completely phased out
-reliability, longer TBOs, better cold starts, negligible warm up and cool down time
-you can fly much faster longer. No shock cooling allows you to stay higher longer with steeper descents. You can maintain a fast speed throughout the entire patter until Id imagine less than 3 mile final
While I'm looking forward to seeing the Talon engine finish testing and enter production, there is much to prove on any new engine design, especially on the durability front. You can't compare new turbine designs to legacy ones like PT6s and 331s which have been in service for decades and accumulated 10s of millions of flight hours.

There is a long ways to go here and TurbAero understands that.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 09-27-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
No turbines allowed in Sport Class.
I hope they should change it because the Unlimited warbird class is in it's last leg because running it is too expensive.
Days to First Flight: 999
Painting: 99% completed
Donation paid through 2022
Old 09-27-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
I hope they should change it because the Unlimited warbird class is in it's last leg because running it is too expensive.
The top Sport Class engines output in excess of 800hp when running 400mph+ laps. The thermodynamic rating of the Turbaero is about a 1/4 of this so it wouldn't be a viable alternative here.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 10-16-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepperpilot View Post
And $80-100,000
Assuming that is the true range for the price of it...I just called a distributor to ask how much a brand new lycoming IO-360 costs (run of the mill, not thunderbolt). Without a core, they are $96k. So it is actually very competitive with a piston engine if you compare apples to apples.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
While I'm looking forward to seeing the Talon engine finish testing and enter production, there is much to prove on any new engine design, especially on the durability front. You can't compare new turbine designs to legacy ones like PT6s and 331s which have been in service for decades and accumulated 10s of millions of flight hours.

There is a long ways to go here and TurbAero understands that.
I also understand this, I have lots of testing experience with new to production items. It is a great step towards something tangible if it works.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:57 PM

I like jet engines, in fact most of my flying career has been flying jets. Unfortunately at the moment I can see no advantages. In this case they are ESTIMATING some time in the future something like 200 hp equivalent, which is about the same as a Lycoming. The big advantage is burning jet A. In many places around the world Avgas is difficult to find. Regardless of power, the airframe is limited by its VNE, and that is not something to treat casually.

A possible advantage might be the ability to fly at flight level altitudes.
In a fully developed engine, long life and reliability are factors. I dont know about turboprops, but jet engines are usually lifed in the tens of thousand hours. Having said that, how many hours do the majority of light aircraft pilots fly?

Having said all that, if they could get 400 or more hp, it would be a blast to takeoff and climb at 10,000 ft/min. And cruise in a jet stream.

Regards to all, Brent