Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-23-2022, 03:48 PM

I just spent almost 3 months of prepping, sanding, priming, sanding again, and more sanding, and some painting before I finished the painting of all the major exterior surfaces of my RV8. The paint quality, at most, decent DIY but I didn't pay that much for paint, in the range of less than $2000. It took me more time to paint than to finish building the empenage.

I didn't realize that having more than one color will add a tremendous amount of time and work in the prep process. If you have the money in your retirement account, go the professional route because the first thing a buyer, or a Lindy judge will look at is the paint job. I am convince a RV cannot win a Lindy with a DIY paint job unless the DIY guy is also a professional painter and has a professional painting setup. I've seen a moderately priced RV8 that had excellent builder quality but it had a DIY paint job. I also saw a top priced professionally painted RV8 that had ok build quality like a mismatch front baggage door lines, and other stuff that only a RV8 builder can spot.
Days to First Flight: 999
Painting: 99% completed
Donation paid through 2022
Old 09-23-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeyman View Post
I have always admired Vlad’s choice, and bold plane usage.
Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlrai View Post
$30K buys a lot of AV Gas. Bare bones may be the answer.
OPs paint job is really nice, even if way outside my budget.

At the same time, one of my favorite things about flying an unpainted airplane to flyins for the past 10 years is that it seems to attract builders or prospective builders who want to talk about the building process. I really enjoy that. Just wish I had the same skill set, and could fly as much, as Vlad!

Again, tho, nice paint job!

Donation reminder: Jun. 2023

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 09-23-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Your airplane looks fabulous!

Judging (pun intended) by the number of awards received at SNF and OSH for airplanes designed and/or completed by Evoke, there isn't anyone close.

RV-10 Signature Series paint starts at $32,900. Worth every penny.
LOL! Maybe so if you have $32,900 sitting around.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:42 PM

Default No judgement zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV74ME View Post
Well, what can I say. Prices have gone up on just about everything these days. Some people choose to spend $40k or more on their panel. Or take a shortcut with quick build. I did the slow build, modest panel, and chose to put that money towards a high quality paint job. The beauty of it is we all get to decide for ourselves.

Steve,

No judging here just pointing out another option for those that may not want to go that route. The beautiful part about building your own airplane is that you can modify or not at your pleasure, paint included. Your airplane is spectacular and if I am able to get mine even close to that would make my day. Enjoy your finished product and happy flying.

Cheers
Dave
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7VoBh6e5R

Last edited by Davea320 : 09-23-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I am amazed at the self-appointed arbiters of what is an appropriate amount to spend on a paint job. When I checked a few minutes ago, there were 155+ airplanes on the Evoke Signature Series queue (mine included) - so clearly there is an incredible demand for Jonathan's product and level of quality.

What I used to think might be disdain for those of us who don't do our own paint and go to someone like Jonathan is probably something else. Don't let them get to you.
Itís not disdain and no one is arbiting an appropriate price for a paint job; itís just pure sticker shock. While the quality may be fantastic and itís great that he has dudes lined up to throw money at him, methinks the majority of builders canít justify spending that kind of coin for paint. I certainly couldnít or wouldnít spend that muchÖ I just donít feel the need for 35000 bucks worth of paint on my simple RV-8.
1950 hrs
Houston, TX
Old 09-23-2022, 06:34 PM

Default Paint

Gorgeous. If someone has the budget, that's a beauty. Probably win a Lindy.
I just bought two full rolls of vinyl for mine. She will sport two colors for a while till I add some accents. Fiberglass is all black. Vinyl on aluminum. Total cost less then $2K and I can change colors later.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:48 PM

If I am spending $30-33k on a paint job, I certainly would expect more than what I saw in their booth at Oshkosh this year. Their pain job was certainly great but not matching the price tag.
For that much money, and perhaps even less, I would go with John Stahr for sure.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 09-23-2022, 08:09 PM

Well, this thread is surely reason enough for me forego a celebratory post here when I get my plane back from paint next summer.

I priced my 4-color design at multiple shops and they all came back expensive, including some more costly than discussed here. DIY was considered (after a 5-year slowbuild, and 10 years flying unpainted making slow upgrades) but the facilities and time available to me mean having it done by a shop is the logical choice.

Steve, your bird looks great, enjoy it!
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com
Old 09-23-2022, 08:41 PM

Ya'll cut it out. Steve has a beautiful airplane, and nobody is knocking his choice. It's just that it's kinda amazing to see how popular that particular choice has become.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up Looks great

Looks great Steve! I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of that one.
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid anyway