Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Default veneer panel

Yesterday I was in Houston at a wood working show and came across some beautiful veneer and of course the first thing I thought of was my panel. Man that would sure look good: swearling grain, satan finish, very unique, all the time telling myself no you don't need this because.....
Ok now I'm the proud owner of a bundle of some real pretty veneer.
Here's the question: has anyone had any luck in applying wood veneer to an aluminum panel and how did you do it?

Thanks G.P.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Default NO!

Hi G.P.
We have beautiful bird's eye maple veneer on our -6A and it has been on there for a year and a half but is starting to crack in the narrow spaces between the round instruments (airspeed/alt, etc) and the cracks are slowly widening but now seem to have stabilized. I'm not sure that I'd do it again.

I also don't know whether or not to have the aluminum dash warm as in the summer before you apply the veneer. Ours was 3M glue backed and stuck (sticks?) incredibly well. Apparently there's a big difference in the coeficient of expansion/contraction.

Regards,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Default No also

I agree with Pierre!
I had the same experiance.
There are other ways to get the same effect.
I've seem the rich wood under thick plastic.
Also, and I haven't about this one in the RV group, but my hangar mate and RV-6 guy is in the sign business and the computer graphics run on vinyl sheets are fantastic and can be customized for you. So effectively it would be a vinyl overlay on the metal panel. Just a thought!
Good Luck
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Water Transfer printing

Here's another way to accomplish the same thing, without the problems. This is what the auto mfgs are doing. There are people who will do this for custom prders.

I plan to use this on my RV-10. There are a WIDE variety of 'skins' you can use

http://www.watertransferprinting.com/
Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Default Water transfer printing

Yes the process to use is Water transfer printing

www.buckeyewtp.com
Water transfer printing
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Kydex

Kydex, which is a plastic like material used in many automotive and aircraft application is available with a wood grain finish.

http://www.kydex.com/products/textures#

For those that have seen the Aerosport Products interior panels, they are made out of kydex.

Getting a small enough piece of kydex to do a single instrument panel or a set of inserts will probably be the biggest obstacle. Minimum order quanties are more than what you would want for a single aircraft. The kydex would also have to be backed by alumunium for use in a panel.

bob
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM

The Veneer should not be attached to the aluminum. If you could find a way to sandwich or float it in there but not attach it to anything, you should be okay. The wood will contract and expand with temperature and moisture much more than than anything else in the aircraft, if it is glued, bolted or screwed to the aluminum, it will create enormous pressure as the wood expands, leading to cracking and splitting. Much like how a wooden prop can stretch bolts, except obviously veneer is much thinner.

The art to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Default veneer panel

We did a mahogany veneer overlay in our Jodel. ( wood RV!)
Basically we cut out the exact panel without the screw holes, then attached with velcro tabs so that it stood off (just the height of the screw heads). Thus easy to remove when an instrument needed work, and we had to re-varnish it frequently due to the heat causing it to check.
It was a thing of beauty, but sometimes we wished it wasn't glossy, and the thickness made a couple instruments a bit harder to read from the co-pilot's seat.(my seat!)
I think perhaps the faux finishes may be the way to go now....easier to add to other parts of the cabin as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have always veneered my panels. I just like the look of it. I have found that the wide-grained woods, such as maple and Oak will crack and not look as nice as the finer grained woods such as Cherry.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Ours has been on for over three years now and we haven't had any problems with it.
Savannah, GA and Ridgeland, SC