Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-25-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPausert View Post
My day job is as an engineer specializing in corrosion on the USAF T-6 Texan II trainer so I thought i would put in my two cents.... We have also started using Cor-Ban 35 quite a bit and Cor-ban 27L on latches and stuff (27L doesn't dry)
Brian, please tell us more about the two Cor-Ban products. Can you share how they were selected, comparisons with other similar products, etc? In your trade, are "creep in between" inhibitors a big deal, or mere insurance, or something else?

https://zipchem.com/categorie-produit/cor-ban/

Last edited by DanH : 09-25-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:52 AM

Default Human nature to follow the crowd . . . . or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
Like so many before me, i started out building the perfect airplane.
I used an soldering iron and cut nice little lanes along the rivet holes.
But I soon found out that the Alcad is really soft, much softer then the underlining aluminum. The iron easily scratched the surface of the Alcad. So I stopped doing that. Since the Alcad scratches really easily, this is one of the many reasons I primed everything.
This same experience (small scale as I tested the process) applies to many popularized processes that have been posted without warnings, or even knowing the risks. It taught me to be much more careful in my build, and not blindly copy others (applied widely). Skill and technique makes a huge difference in the outcomes of many building practices. Advance learning/testing is fundamental, or these days . . . just follow the (well written) instructions.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:42 AM

Sorry about taking so long to reply on this. The Cor-ban research was done by the C-5 program so I had to get some details.

The C-5 program did some testing a few years ago and had best results with Cor-Ban 35. I asked for the results but haven't gotten them yet.

Part of the reason for use of Cor-ban 35 vs something like corrosion X is that Cor-ban 35 is a dry film protectant. Corrosion X does not dry. Once Cor-ban 35 is applied it stays on the part unless damaged. It is also water displacing.

Please note we have discovered that Cor-ban should never be applied over electrical equipment as electric sparks can cause flammability issues.

USAF T-6 Structural integrity program and Deputy corrosion program engineer (civilian)

RV-9A Empennage kit received and wing kit on order

Dues paid Nov 2022
Old 09-30-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPausert View Post
Sorry about taking so long to reply on this. The Cor-ban research was done by the C-5 program so I had to get some details.

The C-5 program did some testing a few years ago and had best results with Cor-Ban 35. I asked for the results but haven't gotten them yet.

Part of the reason for use of Cor-ban 35 vs something like corrosion X is that Cor-ban 35 is a dry film protectant. Corrosion X does not dry. Once Cor-ban 35 is applied it stays on the part unless damaged. It is also water displacing.

Please note we have discovered that Cor-ban should never be applied over electrical equipment as electric sparks can cause flammability issues.
Thanks for this information Brian! Look forward to hearing from you once you have the test results.
Working on an RV-14