What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pull Rivets for Nut Plates?

dwollen89

Well Known Member
I'm assembling my wings on an RV7A. I need to attach three nutplates on the inboard end of the wing spar for the most inboard fuel tank Z-bracket. The area is very tight and I'm worried about damaging the spar and ribs if I attempt to buck the nut plate rivets. I don’t know why the instructions didn’t have me install these before the ribs were all riveted. Anyway, I digress. Can I use a CCR264SS3-3 flush head rivet to attach these nut plates instead of the AN426 rivets? I don't have any experience with these rivets, but I've read they can be used for nut plates. If they’re flush head, I’d think they’d fit in the same countersinks.

Attachments

• A8A29076-816C-4B40-BB62-CC1A74E79F62.jpg
    A8A29076-816C-4B40-BB62-CC1A74E79F62.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 153
I have used a few to mount nut plates in my build. They have a 100 degree angle so they fit into the same counter sink as the solid rivet.

Pull rivets are fine. There is no structural issue since they are only preventing rotation of the nutplate.

From Section 5 of the Construction Manual -

CCR-246SS-3-2
CCR-246SS-3-2 blind rivets that are specified in many locations should not be considered a replacement for 3/32” AN426 rivets that are being used in structural applications. They are acceptable for installation of nutplates or in other low load locations. When installing the CCR blind rivet it is normal for the stem to pull entirely out of the rivet.

Back