What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine selection

BrianP

The first part of my kit is supposed to arrive in the next month. I haven’t done much thinking about which engine to order ( EFii, compression, etc.) and initially thought I would have ample time to figure it out. I’ve heard that the wait for an engine can now be up to 2 years so I feel a little pressure to get something on order. I’m sure that this has been discussed at length in the past. Can someone point to to a good thread on the topic?

I would think you have plenty of time before you have to worry with acquiring an engine. I wouldn't want an engine sitting around in my garage for several years waiting on me to build. That way you can maximize your warranty too.

There are really no viable alternative engines for the airplane, so you're left with a factory new (stock) option from Van's, a custom (Thunderbolt) engine from Van's, or a rebuilt engine from someone else with with whatever customizations you want.

How to decide?

What weight do you give to each of these factors?

• Cost
  • Longevity
  • Efficiency
  • Customer Experience
  • Overall dynamic performance

Back