What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick Grips

Can anyone recommend some descent stick grips for my brand new RV7. I have looked at the infinity range and the standard wooden ones from Vans but not sure what else is available.

The "fewer buttons" thing is why I went with Tosten initially, but I had some panel clearance issues with them, so ended up ordering the Infinity ones. I *much* prefer the feel of the Infinity grips--both the grip itself and the buttons. It's worth trying them (and others) out before deciding.

-Rob

Buttons...

I elected to go with the infinity grips with all the buttons.

I like not having to remove my hand from the stick or throttle to start the engine, turn on or off the fuel pump or adjust flaps.

Plus! They look cool :cool:

Good luck with your choice, there are a bunch of options out there.

I just ordered dual Tostens. I like that they are symmetric left to right, so they'll be comfortable with either hand. I expect that I will need to trim down my control sticks to ensure they clear the panel.

Infinity complicated order form

I would have gone with the infinity1 grips but:mad: .............I have no experience of working with electrical diagrams or actually understanding them. For someone who wants a standard set of these cool looking grips you need a) loads of time to read through the website, b) loads of time to re read and try and understand what the heck you are choosing and c) loads of time to fully understand the wiring process and then hope like **** you have ordered the right things

Infinity gets a big thumbs down from me only because of the difficulty in trying to work out/choose from the combination of 65,536 options which means, the odds of me cocking up this order are not stacked in my favour.
Anyone else feeling a bit challenged by the ordering process or is it just me:)

Anyone else feeling a bit challenged by the ordering process or is it just me:)

You aren't the only one Paul - I find his website to be horribly obtuse! I am actually pretty familiar with electronics and wiring schemes, as well as with what I want the stick to do, and I find his web site terrible to navigate. In fact, if you ever meet the fellow at Oshkosh, you'll understand why - not a terrible pleasurable experience as he talks about radical politics while all you want to know is if you can buy a stick from him in his "standard" configuration. The answer? got to the ACS web site and order their stock Infinity grip - it will generally do everything that you want it to do, and it costs the same (or less).

Paul (two Infinity grips, like them both, bought from ACS....)

If you go with the Infinity, don't gang all your ground wires together to thin out the cable. If you do, leave the PTT trigger ground wire alone, since wiring that to airframe ground is asking for trouble, it seems.

But the Infinity grip is way cool. I quickly found a use for every button on there, and could probably use a couple more.

I'll lend some support to the Infinity grips. Plenty of functions and a great feel in the hand. Brought one for my KR2 years ago and have just ordered a 2nd one for the left side and some parts to alter the original to match the new one.

The wiring of the grips isn't too hard. Red button has red wires. Blue button has blue wires. If you're using a VPX, it's even simpler, collate the ground wires into a single wire (except the PTT), run it thorugh a lever lock switch and then to ground. Run the other end to the pin on the VPX and you're done. It's (almost) idiot proof-which makes it perfect for me. :D

Last edited:
Infinity grips +1

I’ve not seen anyone comment on the Infinity grips that swivel. I had swivel grips in my sailplane (not on purpose just loose enough that they twisted) and liked them and when I saw the option decided to try them. They work great and very comfortable!!!

If you're using a VPX, it's even simpler, collate the ground wires into a single wire (except the PTT), run it thorugh a lever lock switch and then to ground. Run the other end to the pin on the VPX and you're done.

What's the reason for the lever lock switch in the line to ground? To disable the stick grip?

Ray Allen

I have the foam Ray Allen grips in my -4. Multifunction version in front with AIl,Elv trim, flaps and PTT, rear stick has basic model with just PTT. Very comfortable grips, not a sexy cool as the contoured fighter models, but it feels the same in left or right hand, and I switch around on long flights.

Attachments

• FWD cockpit.jpg
    FWD cockpit.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 66
Stick grips

I have an Infinity grip in the front of my RV-8. It is a good stick grip but unfortunately the builder of my -8 did not clock it and it just feels awkward being dead on straight and not at the natural hand position. I got a copy of the installation instructions which would require me to disconnect the wiring, remove the stick and cut another slot to reposition or use the rotatable sleeve.

If you’ve ever seen the inside of an Infinity grip it is a wiring nightmare in that you have to be very careful not to damage a wire connection. Some of the wiring connection points on my grip are not very robust and look downright fragile.

I found a curved stick and ordered a Tosten military custom grip to fit and Midwest Panel Builders did very professional laser etched labeling of all the buttons. This is a much easier installation because the grip comes fully assembled with a sleeve that is matched to your stick. Very happy with the overall look and feel and the grip is easily adjustable to a wide range of positions using the supplied sleeve adapter.

1B57F09C-4B4D-491A-BDC0-AD1DD543114C.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Infinity grip in the front of my RV-8. It is a good stick grip but unfortunately the builder of my -8 did not clock it and it just feels awkward being dead on straight and not at the natural hand position. I got a copy of the installation instructions which would require me to disconnect the wiring, remove the stick and cut another slot to reposition or use the rotatable sleeve.

If you’ve ever seen the inside of an Infinity grip it is a wiring nightmare in that you have to be very careful not to damage a wire connection. Some of the wiring connection points on my grip are not very robust and look downright fragile.

I found a curved stick and ordered a Tosten military custom grip to fit and Midwest Panel Builders did very professional laser etched labeling of all the buttons. This is a much easier installation because the grip comes fully assembled with a sleeve that is matched to your stick. Very happy with the overall look and feel and the grip is easily adjustable to a wide range of positions using the supplied sleeve adapter.

Oly,

What's the actual overall length of the Tosten stick grip, and how far does the stick insert into the grip?

Last edited:
Oly,

What's the actual overall length of the Tosten stick grip, and how far does the stick insert into the grip?

Dave,

The Tosten military grip has a sleeve on the bottom that slides down into the top of the stick a total of 1 1/4” down into the stick. The grip itself as it sits on top of the stick is 6 1/4” including the small mounting lip of the sleeve adapter that sits on top of the stick.

Lots of fancy grips on the market, festooned with switches. I figure that you'd need excellent training and planning to avoid getting them confused in difficult situations.

I'm using a simple ordinary tennis ball. My dog convinced me that they have the proper ergonomics. No switches - the single PTT is on the throttle grip. I sold a real military stick grip because I figured someone else would prefer it and I sure didn't need it. The tennis ball is excellent.

The throttle grip, incidentally, is an old medicine bottle cap, repurposed. It's the right size, has a good grip, room for the PTT and is a cheerful green.

Grips: done.

Dave
RV-3B now working on the cowling.

Dave,

The Tosten military grip has a sleeve on the bottom that slides down into the top of the stick a total of 1 1/4” down into the stick. The grip itself as it sits on top of the stick is 6 1/4” including the small mounting lip of the sleeve adapter that sits on top of the stick.

Thank you!

I just ordered dual Tostens. I like that they are symmetric left to right, so they'll be comfortable with either hand. I expect that I will need to trim down my control sticks to ensure they clear the panel.

12 years later... I would not replace my Tostens. If you like the military look, go for the Infinity or the new Tosten millitary-style grip. If you're building some thing non-military looking, the regular Tosten grips will still give you a lot of the military functionality (a bunch of buttons to do things with, flange to rest your hand on, etc) without being overtly "fighter-like".

Infinity grip....

I have an Infinity grip in the front of my RV-8. It is a good stick grip but unfortunately the builder of my -8 did not clock it and it just feels awkward being dead on straight and not at the natural hand position.

Love my Infinity grip. I don't remember it being difficult to wire up but that was a LONG time ago......:p

Not sure why anyone would mount it straight forward. I sat with it in the cockpit for quite a while before I found the clocked position that fit my hand the way I wanted it. I like the function switches and the little shelf on the starboard side to rest my hand. Perfect position while flying to make small adjustments.

And it looks cool! :cool:

Attachments

• img704 (2).jpg
    img704 (2).jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 87
Back