What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Music Wire Loop - How To?

David Paule

Well Known Member
I've got some stiff music wire and I'd like to put a question mark-shaped loop in one end. The wire will be the forward end of the hidden oil door latch wire. Any suggestions for forming that "?" loop?

Thanks!

Dave

Clamp vise (grips as a heat sink) where you want the bend to start, Heat to red hot and form with needle nose pliers.

Last edited:
Piece of cylindrical bar stock in the diameter you want the loop. Drill a hole in it the size of the piano wire. Bar stock in a vise. Stick the end of the piano wire in the hole, then use heat and a hammer to form the piano wire into shape. Just one way…..

Should have mentioned that I don't have a torch....

Dave

I don't know that you must have a torch. Experiment a bit by using Paul's method with an under-sized steel rod, then pull the piano wire around that rod. Pick the rod diameter anticipating a bit of spring back.

What is the diameter you're shooting for on your question mark shaped loop? Is an exact size important?

Should have mentioned that I don't have a torch....

Dave

Time for a.......
torch.JPG

Don't need a torch. I think it would untemper the wire anyway.

Short length of scrap steel angle, two bolts, two nuts for each bolt. Drill holes in one flange of the angle, clamp the other flange in the vise. Double nut the bolts through the flange holes so they form two standings posts. Add a short piece of pipe or other tubular spacer on one of the bolts to adjust the radius of the hook. Bend to suit, then trim the wire.

I've wound springs this way.

Attachments

• Music Wire Bending Jig.jpg
    Music Wire Bending Jig.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 123
Paul, Here is an interesting video on making springs. Not what you were looking for but the physics involved are demonstrated for your own selection. Note this was not heated, annealed, or tempered after.

Pay attention, Tony is quite the joker, but skillful.

Please do let us see the final product!

Paul, Here is an interesting video on making springs. Not what you were looking for but the physics involved are demonstrated for your own selection. Note this was not heated, annealed, or tempered after.

Pay attention, Tony is quite the joker, but skillful.

Please do let us see the final product!

Love This old Tony.. I miss his videos.. wonder why he went AWOL..

Thanks, every one. It's done.... basically followed DanH's suggestions. I did obtain one of those bending tools and decided that it wouldn't work for this.

Loop.jpg

The loop came out a little bigger than I hoped due to the significant springback. But as my finger shows, it's satisfactory.

Incidentally, that glass pad shown is to mount the wire guide.

Dave
RV-3B working on the cowling

This was formed by propane torch, over-length wire heated cherry-red and pulled around a pipe mandrel, reverse-bend made by pliers, then cut to desired length.

Zero care for loss of temper in this particular application. Works like a charm. Few of the custom touches on this build came out better than the hidden oil door. Rube Goldberg would be proud.

Attachments

• 58715287986__78B2AB12-82C3-415F-A798-DD0A706F90A4.jpg
    58715287986__78B2AB12-82C3-415F-A798-DD0A706F90A4.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 126
Thanks, every one. It's done.... basically followed DanH's suggestions. I did obtain one of those bending tools and decided that it wouldn't work for this.

View attachment 35301

The loop came out a little bigger than I hoped due to the significant springback. But as my finger shows, it's satisfactory.

Incidentally, that glass pad shown is to mount the wire guide.

Dave
RV-3B working on the cowling

Looks great, Dave!

This was formed by propane torch, over-length wire heated cherry-red and pulled around a pipe mandrel, reverse-bend made by pliers, then cut to desired length.

Zero care for loss of temper in this particular application. Works like a charm. Few of the custom touches on this build came out better than the hidden oil door. Rube Goldberg would be proud.

Just curious, since I built mine with the Cessna button, but isn't that pin a pain to get back in the hinge once the door is opened? Or, is there a means to keep the pin from coming all the way out so it doesn't have to be aimed?

Back