What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetic Compass

BrianP

I bought an RV8 in the US and am in the process of importing it into Canada. Our rules require a magnetic compass be installed. I have seen some dash mounted compasses that are fairly large and seem as though they would obstruct the view out the windshield significantly. Any suggestions for compass model and location to place it?

Attachments

• 01852C3C-EF9D-4E24-B719-61C76118A8B1.jpg
    01852C3C-EF9D-4E24-B719-61C76118A8B1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 110
This one mounted on top of the glare shield works well - and assuming your are of average height you will see over it (as in the cowl will remain the limiting visual restriction).

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/Nav2400Campus.php

Side note - it helps to degauss the roll bar and the canopy forward frame. Take out your electronics, sit in the plane and run an old school bulk tape eraser over the steel bars. Wrap the eraser in some cloth so you don’t scrape any paint.

Put the electronics back in then calibrated the compass following the supplied instructions.

Carl

Last edited:
I wasn’t sure that there would be enough space to mount one anywhere in the panel. Is removing the panel as simple as just removing the Phillips head screws and folding it forward? Are these panels fairly easy to cut through to install new instruments?

Yes the panel can be removed by simply removing the screws. But there is a ton of wiring behind the panel and lets hope the builder has built enough slack for you don't have to remove the connectors

I wasn’t sure that there would be enough space to mount one anywhere in the panel. Is removing the panel as simple as just removing the Phillips head screws and folding it forward? Are these panels fairly easy to cut through to install new instruments?

Since every panel is custom made, there is no way to answer your first question. Some builders may have wired the panel after it was installed, so now you’d have to remove those wires before removing the screws. Or, maybe there’s enough slack in the wires to pull it part way out.
Yes, the panels cut okay. For just one or two round cuts, a drill mounted ‘holesaw’ will work okay before getting too dull.
I mounted a compass in my panel, and I found that nearby wires created enough magnetic fields that I couldn’t swing it enough to get it within 10 deg of correct E-W.

you have a few more options...

You don't need a compass for Canada. Loosely paraphrased you need a magnetic heading indicator, and the all important compass card, that is not dependant on the primary electrical system.

E.g if you turn off the master you still have a magnetic heading

Standby batteries keeping a G5 or D10A alive do meet the Canadian requirments and will block less of your view.

Derek

Too many electrons

You don't need a compass for Canada. Loosely paraphrased you need a magnetic heading indicator, and the all important compass card, that is not dependant on the primary electrical system.

E.g if you turn off the master you still have a magnetic heading

Standby batteries keeping a G5 or D10A alive do meet the Canadian requirments and will block less of your view.
If the inspector goes by that, although other posts on this forum indicate some have their own stricter interpretation.

Looking at the OPs panel I believe you may have the same issue as I did - that is, after I swapped out the steam gauges for glass there was no place that the wet compass wouldn't get significantly thrown off by the electronics, including the glareshield.

Just some food for thought, hopefully you'll be able to do without, or find a place for it to work.

Back