What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correction for Garmin Transponder Configuration in G3X Touch 9.10-9.13

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Afternoon,

We posted GDU 4XX Software v9.14 to the Software Download Center today.

There is a problem with the transponder Position Integrity setting in Software versions 9.10, 9.12 and 9.13. If Position Integrity is set to AUTO, the display will configure the transponder to the equivalent of SIL 0 in error. The behavior of AUTO mode is corrected in v9.14. If unable to update to 9.14 right away, you can manually configure your Position Integrity to 1e-7 in the Transponder Configuration page within the G3X Touch to correctly transmit ADS-B Messages.

Only the non-GPS versions of GTX 345R, GTX 45R, GTX 35R, and GTX 335R are affected. No Panel mount transponders are affected.

Further, only those transponders mentioned above which receive their GPS data via RS-232 are affected (Includes all installations in which GPS is provided by GNS series navigator or GPS 20A).

Any transponder that receives GPS data via HSDB is not affected. GTN series navigators and GPS175/GNC355 can be connected to the transponder by RS-232 or HSDB. So it follows, If connected to the transponder via RS-232, the installation is affected. If connected to the transponder vis HSDB, it is not affected.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Hi Justin, I’ve been flying with 9.12, haven’t been able to load 9.13, so, can I just load 9.14?

The GNX375 is normally lumped in with the 175/355 when it comes to softwares and other things. In this particular update, does the 375 count as a panel mount transponder and is therefore not affected?

GDU Software 9.14

I haven't installed the recently available 9.13 update. Can I go directly to the 9.14 update without missing any part of both updates?

Last edited:
GNX 375

The GNX375 is normally lumped in with the 175/355 when it comes to softwares and other things. In this particular update, does the 375 count as a panel mount transponder and is therefore not affected?

If you have a GNX 375, you are very unlikely to also have a GTX 335R, GTX 35R, GTX 45R, or GTX 345R transponder, which are the only affected units. The GNX 375 unit is not affected by the problem.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
So just to be clear.... the GTX 23ES is not affected regardless of GPS source or data connection format

Great question. It is a Garmin remote Mode S transponder controlled by G3X. It gets position over RS-232 from a GPS 20A. Seems like the same formula as the other problem transponders. Never got an answer from G3X Expert. It still seems murky at this point.

So just to be clear.... the GTX 23ES is not affected regardless of GPS source or data connection format

Great question. It is a Garmin remote Mode S transponder controlled by G3X. It gets position over RS-232 from a GPS 20A. Seems like the same formula as the other problem transponders. Never got an answer from G3X Expert. It still seems murky at this point.

No, the GTX 23ES is not affected:

[the] GTX 335R, GTX 35R, GTX 45R, or GTX 345R transponder... are the only affected units.

Furthermore, the software change notes specify that only the GTX xx5R family is affected:

Improve automatic determination of RS-232 position data integrity for GTX xx5R transponders

Trust me, this notification does not apply to the GTX 23ES.

Last edited:

There are 4 transponder models affected by this problem, GTX 35R, GTX 45R, GTX 345R and GTX 45R. GTX 23ES is not affected.

Thanks,

Justin

I have a GTX 45R adsb, presumably connected to the G3x through RS232. I have not updated from 6.12, waiting for the dust to settle, and have flown multiple times with no apparent adsb issues - at least according to my Flightaware tracks. I also have not experienced any problems with the autopilot, although I don’t use autotrim or ESP. Do I need to update to 6.14?

GDU 4XX V9.14

I have a GTX 45R adsb, presumably connected to the G3x through RS232. I have not updated from 6.12, waiting for the dust to settle, and have flown multiple times with no apparent adsb issues - at least according to my Flightaware tracks. I also have not experienced any problems with the autopilot, although I don’t use autotrim or ESP. Do I need to update to 6.14?

We strongly recommend doing so, it includes two fixes to known problems that you can easily resolve with a system software update.

Thanks,

Justin

I installed the 9.14 version after I had installed 9.13 and it went on without any issues but I did not see any LRU to get updated. Doesn't 9.14 contain upgrades to other LRUs?

I installed the 9.14 version after I had installed 9.13 and it went on without any issues but I did not see any LRU to get updated. Doesn't 9.14 contain upgrades to other LRUs?

If you examine the software change notes, you will see that none of the LRU version numbers changed from GDU 4xx software version 9.13 to 9.14. Also notice that Garmin uses the words "Includes update to..." when an LRU software version changes. If you already had version 9.13 fully installed, an update to version 9.14 would not be expected to result in any further LRU updates.

One of the added feature in 9.12 was the ability to disable ESP by holding AP DISC button for 5 seconds. I am in v 9.14 and tried this which did not work.

When I pressed the Disc button for some extended seconds and released it, the AP would engage.

One of the added feature in 9.12 was the ability to disable ESP by holding AP DISC button for 5 seconds. I am in v 9.14 and tried this which did not work.

When I pressed the Disc button for some extended seconds and released it, the AP would engage.

You have the "Engage AP via CWS" configuration option enabled. Turn that off and it will work fine - it seems obvious that these two behaviors would be mutually exclusive. Hopefully Garmin will update their documentation soon to reflect this.

You have the "Engage AP via CWS" configuration option enabled. Turn that off and it will work fine - it seems obvious that these two behaviors would be mutually exclusive. Hopefully Garmin will update their documentation soon to reflect this.

Thank you again Matt. Do you remember if this is the configuration page or just menu -> menu -> auto pilot section?

Sunday should be a flying weather and I will try it then.

Back