What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping Increase

dweyant

Well Known Member
Just got off the phone with Old Dominion.

As of November 1st they have started to implement a $1,000 surcharge for any shipments that are over length. They define over length as longer than 96 inches on any dimension.

A large percentage of the Van’s kits are larger than the 96 inch max, so this will likely impact a number of us.

While Old Dominion insisted that the surcharge was $1,000 I was “only(?)” charged an additional $440 for my RV14A empennage kit. They couldn’t tell me why that was but I assume it has something to do with the volume that Van’s does.

-Dan

What area does Old Dominion service? I would also consider taking the 10 hour drive up to save $1,000, even at today's gas prices.

Even back in 2008 the cheapest way for me to get the fuselage + wing kit to the Bay area was to fly commercial one way OAK to Portland, rent the U haul, drive to Vans, drive home (one very long day).

When I was ordering my fuselage kit Vans said they can get a good rate with one of their LTL carriers. The rate they quoted was significantly less, almost half of the rate I had gotten dealing directly with a carrier. I also picked it up at the carriers terminal and saved more. Carrier was Old Dominion.

RV10 wing kit was delivered by ABF. No check was collected. Asked ABF via email - they said Vans paid for it.

Was about to query Vans and then saw a charge on a CC from them for around 800. Assume that was it. No receipts or emails that I could find from them.

Original delivery was scheduled for late August, kit showed up a week ago.

Has anyone used Uship for competitive shipping bids? The buyer of my RV-10 empennage kit paid almost $900 for the shipping of the kit I crated 12’ long x 1’ high x 4’ wide. From MI to OK. Shipping costs seem to have increased significantly since I built my RV-10.

Has anyone used Uship for competitive shipping bids? The buyer of my RV-10 empennage kit paid almost $900 for the shipping of the kit I crated 12’ long x 1’ high x 4’ wide. From MI to OK. Shipping costs seem to have increased significantly since I built my RV-10.

I ship a LOT of RV kits. Costs are up significantly. International containers are up about 400% in the last 18 months. Domestic is up, but not anything close to that. This huge surcharge for anything over 8 feet is really tough. On an average RV kit it could wing up being an extra couple thousand dollars for all of the sheet metal kits (a number of them are just an inch or two over 8 feet…

-Dan

Back