What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable AC is it possible?

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I saw this. It’s a portable AC about 29 pounds with battery pack. Thought maybe this could be incorporated in the plane for those summer days. But since it is portable it can be left out when more useful load is needed. They have a WEB site.

Wondering if this is feasible for my -10, along with all other Vans aircrafts. Would it work?

Zero Breeze Mark 2

Revolutionary Cordless Battery Portable Air Conditioner
Just press the button
and enjoy the cool
air anywhere.

Keep your money. AC is the removal of heat. In an enclosed area with no outside outlet for the heat via condenser, the same heat would just be circulated within the cabin. Actually would slightly increase the temperature of cabin area. Yes, you could have a cool blast on you personally. I can not tell if there is a reservoir for the condensation which would be an issue.

Wondering if this is feasible for my -10, along with all other Vans aircrafts. Would it work?

Not as well as you think. An air conditioner doesn’t ‘make’ cold. It just removes heat from one place and sends it somewhere else - out the back in this case. To use it in an airplane, you’d want some tubing from the ac warm air exit to the tailcone (from where it could exit out). You also need to have tubing so water condensate can exit the airplane. So there are connections to make/unmake for it to be portable. Finally, the cockpit needs to be well-sealed and well insulated, due to the limited cooling capacity. I also think it needs 24 volts(?).

Keep your money. AC is the removal of heat. In an enclosed area with no outside outlet for the heat via condenser, the same heat would just be circulated within the cabin. Actually would slightly increase the temperature of cabin area. Yes, you could have a cool blast on you personally. I can not tell if there is a reservoir for the condensation which would be an issue.

If you look at the website, the unit does have exhaust outlets and ducts for the waste heat which would need to dump outside the aircraft. The system does appear to be a legitimate phase-change AC system, but it only has 2300 BTU's/hr of cooling capacity while a compact car AC typically has at least 12,000 BTU's/hr capacity.

Skylor

If you fly an RV, and the profile fits, simply add to your departure checklist, "climb to and maintain 72 degrees (F)." Easy.

Yeti, yeah...

Well, they probably started with the heaviest ice chest made... 15# empty plus 10-20# of ice.

This has me wanting to weigh my Icy Breeze that I have never yet used in the 10, although it's removably plumbed in to the overhead ducting.

Back