What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Engine selection

Basco

Hello all, I'm getting ready to buy the engine for my -3B and am leaning towards the 180hp Titan 340 with FP prop. The other option is the standard exp Lycoming 160hp 320 for about the same price. My thought is the 180hp will provide closer to 160hp in most phases of flight, since I would have to see 2700rpm to get the full 180hp of the Titan. The Titan and Lyc are the same size/weight, so besides the Van's answer of the Titan "not being the designed HP" anyone have any experience with the Titan 340 in a -3? Also, anyone know if the angled oil filter adapter fits with the -3B engine mount (dynafocal) and firewall? Thanks

Hello all, I'm getting ready to buy the engine for my -3B and am leaning towards the 180hp Titan 340 with FP prop. The other option is the standard exp Lycoming 160hp 320 for about the same price. My thought is the 180hp will provide closer to 160hp in most phases of flight, since I would have to see 2700rpm to get the full 180hp of the Titan. The Titan and Lyc are the same size/weight, so besides the Van's answer of the Titan "not being the designed HP" anyone have any experience with the Titan 340 in a -3? Also, anyone know if the angled oil filter adapter fits with the -3B engine mount (dynafocal) and firewall? Thanks

Need to spin 2700 to get 160 HP out of a 320 also. Need to look at the torque curve. Generally speaking, a longer stroke will provide more torque than a shorter stroke with the same displacent. With our low RPMs, I would expect the 340 to outperform the 320 across the typical RPM range we use (relatively low for IC engines). Shorter strokes tend to be optimal at higher RPMs. Don't really know where the 320's stroke lies on the curve, so can't really say if the longer stroke is truly beneficial. The fact that is makes 20 more HP at the same RPM implies that it is.

Last edited:
Don't really know where the 320's stroke lies on the curve, so can't really say if the longer stroke is truly beneficial. The fact that is makes 20 more HP at the same RPM implies that it is.

Methinks there is a compression difference that accounts for part of the HP increase.

Also you need to consider the additional heat you will need to deal with using the Titan.

From what I've heard, the 160 hp RV-3s cruise at Vne. And rate of climb is not an issue.

Remember that Vne is true airspeed.

Dave

Some people put IO-360 and a CS prop on their -3.. I would vote for the 340, especially being the same cost, and same weight? Have you ever thought to yourself.. “I should have gotten the less horsepower version”? I don’t think so.. more power is more better, especially at the same weight and cost!

My RV3 will exceed redline in level flight with a stock IO320 and a constant speed prop. Even so, when I overhauled the engine last summer and my buddy/engine builder said we could get more horsepower without much change in reliability, I took him up on the offer… no such thing as too much horsepower!

This being said, I’m not sure I can tell much difference. Maybe 200fpm better climb… maybe 2 knots more top speed. My 3 performs better than it should in all aspects thanks to the original builder’s attention to detail. I can hang with all but the fastest bigger-engine RVs and have only come across one RV8 that’s faster than me!

CubCrafters has had good luck with the 340. I have one friend that had a Titan 340 and had problems that the manufacturer would NOT stand behind.

Me, I do a lot of stuff on my own but manufacturer support when there is a problem is still important.

Also, anyone know if the angled oil filter adapter fits with the -3B engine mount (dynafocal) and firewall? Thanks

The B&C angle filter adapter with a 1.4" spacer gives adequate firewall clearance but the standard filter did not clear the engine mount tube by about 1/8". I followed the info from Randy Lervold's rv3works but in my case it didn't quite fit. A slightly smaller diameter filter was required, there are various automotive filters that will fit. I have fitted a reusable type from K&P Engineering.

Russell

Need to spin 2700 to get 160 HP out of a 320 also. Need to look at the torque curve. Generally speaking, a longer stroke will provide more torque than a shorter stroke with the same displacent. With our low RPMs, I would expect the 340 to outperform the 320 across the typical RPM range we use (relatively low for IC engines). Shorter strokes tend to be optimal at higher RPMs. Don't really know where the 320's stroke lies on the curve, so can't really say if the longer stroke is truly beneficial. The fact that is makes 20 more HP at the same RPM implies that it is.

That’s what I’m hoping for. Being able to actually use 160 hp in a midrange RPM. Unless you have a cs prop it’s difficult for any FP to achieve rated HP.

Back