What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Hawk tires

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Chasing a leaking right brake caliper problem yesterday and while removing the wheel I happened to notice that the new air hawk tire I installed in February is not actually round :eek: it seems to be more oval shaped. I decided to check the left side tire and it is similar but not as bad. Is this normal? or do I need to contact spruce about replacements? I did not notice this as an issue with the prior dresser tires and have not noticed any particular ground handling problems although I do get a quick squeak on wheel landings which I do not recall hearing previously.

Couple of other related questions, after 11 years of trouble free brakes I have now changed the caliper piston seal 3 times in the last year trying to stop a leak that started when the temperatures in the hanger were way below freezing a year ago and the leak has persisted. I noticed some light spalling/scuffing in the piston bore which I have cleaned up and am using the standard seals not viton (because of the cold winter temps). Any other hints for things to try other than replacing the caliper (they are the standard Vans matco calipers).
Figs

Chasing a leaking right brake caliper problem yesterday and while removing the wheel I happened to notice that the new air hawk tire I installed in February is not actually round :eek: it seems to be more oval shaped. I decided to check the left side tire and it is similar but not as bad. Is this normal? or do I need to contact spruce about replacements? I did not notice this as an issue with the prior dresser tires and have not noticed any particular ground handling problems although I do get a quick squeak on wheel landings which I do not recall hearing previously.

Couple of other related questions, after 11 years of trouble free brakes I have now changed the caliper piston seal 3 times in the last year trying to stop a leak that started when the temperatures in the hanger were way below freezing a year ago and the leak has persisted. I noticed some light spalling/scuffing in the piston bore which I have cleaned up and am using the standard seals not viton (because of the cold winter temps). Any other hints for things to try other than replacing the caliper (they are the standard Vans matco calipers).
Figs

Dave, did you consider that your leak may not be the piston o-ring? Just say'n.

Being me, I might put it on the bench with 4-5 ft of tubing up in the air (static pressure head)with some leak dye in the fluid and see where it really leaks. Then pressurize (50 psi) and recheck.

Also, my 7 calipers (std) are Parker/Cleveland.

Seals

Fig, I?ve had some of the same problem, but changing the ?0? ring with the proper seal fixed the problem. I think the out of round may be cold weather without flying, sitting on one side. We noticed one during our condition inspection last week.

Dave, did you consider that your leak may not be the piston o-ring? Just say'n.

Being me, I might put it on the bench with 4-5 ft of tubing up in the air (static pressure head)with some leak dye in the fluid and see where it really leaks. Then pressurize (50 psi) and recheck.

Also, my 7 calipers (std) are Parker/Cleveland.

Bill
From what I could see it seemed to be on the inside of the caliper near the piston. I plan to fly without the wheel pants a couple of times to check it and if it still leaks will try your test. You are probably correct on the Parker/Cleveland calipers as they do not look like the pictures on the Matco website (seem to be cast rather than machined), I will check.
Thanks

Parking brake

Found an old thread about using the parking brake to pressurize the brake system to track a leak, Ihave parking brakes and tried it, looks like the current leak may be from the fitting that the bleed nipple screws into, maybe loosened a bit during the brake bleed after I changed the pads. So far 2 hours and no leak, fingers crossed.
Another good idea from the VAF posts database, hope this database is backed up somewhere :)
Figs

Back