What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long Range Fuel Tanks

RV404

I'm New Here
Has anyone tried to Extend the Fuel tank by just moving continuing it a few more ribs/cells further out on the wing?
I Know the Aluminum that comes form Vans would need to be bigger I am not sure how much or if they would send it, but I would really like to have a total fuel of around 90 to 100 Gallons for my-10. I am looking to do some very Long and adventurous flying when complete to included the Atlantic, to England. Alaska, and plenty of other Area's where a 1200 mile range or better would give me more of a safety margin then the 800-1000 mile range that the 60 gallons give me.
I have looked at the tip tanks that give you the extra 15 Gallons, but I would much rather just have 2 larger wing tanks....
It doesn't looking like it should be too overcomplicated to do....
But I want to know if anyone has tried it before I become a fuel tank Pioneer.

I DO NOT want fuel in the Fuselage AT ALL, so the Cargo bay, bulkhead tank Idea is Out.

Thanks for your thoughts.

SO in short, 90-100 Gallons total fuel in the wings, Anyone done it?
how?

Hi Bob...

....a lot of the Harmon Rocket builders and also Super -8 builders, order one tank skin from Van's, cut it in half and add one half to one wing tank and the other half to the opposite wing tank, to feed the six cylinder IO-540. The RV-10's tanks would give you 90 gallons.

You can custom make a similar setup to the Safeair tanks for another 12 or so gallons, fillable at the wingtip.

Best,

Tank Options.

Thanks P.

I might go re-post this in the -8 area see if anyone has any pictures or thoughts on the matter.
with the Idea you mentioned do you seal it where the 2 skins butt up together?
thanks

Bob S.

Thanks P.

I might go re-post this in the -8 area see if anyone has any pictures or thoughts on the matter.
with the Idea you mentioned do you seal it where the 2 skins butt up together?
thanks

Bob S.

Um. Seal it where the skin butts together?
Not sure what you mean. Everything is sealed.
You use a doubler strap like stock only no screwes at that joint.
You will also obviously need an extra rear baffle, few z brackets if you care to use them, and the appropriate ribs.

If they are slow build you can make the rest of the wind all fuel.

A guy here in Oz has done it, a QF LAME, and even had calcs done to prove it was safe.

Its a lot of extra fuel!:p

If they are slow build you can make the rest of the wind all fuel.

A guy here in Oz has done it, a QF LAME, and even had calcs done to prove it was safe.

Its a lot of extra fuel!:p

Translation: Wind=wing. QF=QANTAS. LAME=Licensed Aircraft Mechanical Engineer=A&P. ;)

Thanks Pete :)

and the keys 'd' and 'g' are not that close together, yet posting from my iPhone it seems that the predictive text will catch you out from time to time :(

..........and the same guy has nailed together a slow build -10 wing set for a mate of mine. Unbelievable fuel range now.

I am jealous! :D

But what good is it? Fuel weighs a hair over 6 pounds per gallon at normal temperatures - 120 gallons would give you over 720 lbs. Add the empty weight of at least 1600 and you have probably got 2400 pounds with nobody in it. Unless the builder pushes the max weight over 2700 lbs, you have less than 300 pounds for people & bags.
Unless you are married to a super model, you are going solo....

John

They have flown at 3,000 lbs...

....with no problem getting off and still climbing over 1,000 FPM. The old A-36 Bonanza had a 3600 lb. gross weight.

Best,

Last edited:
They have flown at 3,000 lbs...
....with no problem getting off and still climbing over 1,000 FPM,

Yeah, but just because it can, does that mean you should? Need the engineers on the site to weigh-in on the potential issues here. I'm thinking it's not just about the increase in GW, but where that weight is located and the impact that might have on the wing structure. Just saying....

I do not think they went all the way to 120 gallons.

We tested ours to 2900lbs and MTOW'd it there. we tested beyond that too....all good. not that we fly there often. But fuel burns off.

if one or two up and long distances like we have here in Oz having the ability to fill to what you need....not always full, but what you need can be a very handy thing.

Bad math?

But what good is it? Fuel weighs a hair over 6 pounds per gallon at normal temperatures - 120 gallons would give you over 720 lbs. Add the empty weight of at least 1600 and you have probably got 2400 pounds with nobody in it. Unless the builder pushes the max weight over 2700 lbs, you have less than 300 pounds for people & bags.
Unless you are married to a super model, you are going solo....

John

Empty weight of 1610 lbs (mine) plus 720 lbs of gas (not mine) equals 2330 lbs., which leaves 370 lbs of load available - enough for me (170), another 180 lb passenger, plus 20 lbs of bags. Exactly what you’d expect, as the extra fuel (360
lbs) is equal to two 180 lb people.

Outer Wing Tanks

I wonder if the builder in Australia that did the load calculation for the outer wing tanks also did them for the additional polar moment that would be encountered in a fully developed spin? My math resulted in the selection of a temporary aluminum tank in the rear seat location as a preferred solution. Just another point of reference.

I wonder if the builder in Australia that did the load calculation for the outer wing tanks also did them for the additional polar moment that would be encountered in a fully developed spin? My math resulted in the selection of a temporary aluminum tank in the rear seat location as a preferred solution. Just another point of reference.

And of all the speculations and intentions, Paddy made it happen by crossing the Atlantic twice……my hat is off sir!

Anyone have references on how to build the larger tanks?

I'm interested in trying to take tanks to 90 gallons. I'm looking at Section 18 trying to figure out what parts to buy extra and how it would all connect. One thing I notice is the Tank Stiffeners, T1002 Tank Baffle, etc wouldn't extend into just 'one' larger tank because they are cut from the factory.
So in essence, does one buy extra parts, and essentially built two separate tanks, but have them connected in the middle?

What strap would be used to make a nice connection for the skins?

What about bladder range?

:confused:

I always have to scratch my head a little when someone brings this up - and there is ALWAYS someone that brings it up.

Let's review a moment.

I was smart enough to build my own airplane.
I was smart enough to install the engine and all FWF components.
I was smart enough to install the instrumentation, wiring and panel.
I was smart enough to design/build/install long-range fuel tanks.

But I'm not smart enough to figure out how to relieve my bladder in flight???

I always have to scratch my head a little when someone brings this up - and there is ALWAYS someone that brings it up.

Let's review a moment.

Yep. Always amazed at the inevitable responder who highlights this "issue".

Solved as easily as an empty Gatoraide bottle or as complex as a venturi and relief tube. Even the most complex is pretty low on the "too hard" scale.

Gatorade bottle
Little John
Depends
Piddle pack
Venturi/relief tube

Let's review a moment.

+1

...and not everyone that has ER tanks uses them to fly marathon legs. Some of us use them to tanker cheaper fuel....like over a dollar a gallon cheaper!

Back