What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable Transportation Fits in RV6/7/9/14 Do You Use?

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
So what's the hot set up in 2021-2022? Electric, Pedal, 1 or 2 wheels. What do you use.

The One-Wheel Electric Skate board might be fun but also possibly a good way to take a spill. They are not cheap... list for $1400 to $2200. :eek: However it is super compact. I know little to nothing about them but seen video of them "off roading".

Folding Bike? Any suggestions?

Electric Scooter? Electric ones can weigh 50lbs and even folded still be 47" long.

For safety and weight I am thinking a folding bike is still a good choice. Comment below.

Last edited:
I’m going to be getting a boosted board mini. Small safer than a one wheel and has a heck of a range.

Scooter

I use one like this - powered by a renewable resource - my legs. :D

null-N-002.xxl3.jpg

This works in most places I go, since it's not very hot, and things are either close, or far enough that requires a taxi. I would not enjoy using it to go to Coopers after landing in Llano in August.

Spencer electric fold-up bike. I strap it into the right seat of the RV-7. It would also fit in the cargo area but it's more acrobatics to do so. I use it quite often, most recently at the High Sierra Stol Drag Fly-in.

I've seen a lot of people using OneWheels in DC to get around. The things look darn fun and they go way faster than I would have expected.

Still, I think a folding bike would be a little more practical, even if it's larger.

Then again, I'm kinda lazy and don't go many places where I can't get a crew car, Uber or leg it out. :)

Jetson Bolt Pro Folding Electric Bike

These are at Costco. They are 40 pounds so you couldn’t bring too many of them but may work. Has anyone tried one? Jetson Bolt Pro Folding Electric Bike

I have a Segway Ninebot scooter I got off Amazon that I mostly use to get around my local airport (long way from my hangar to the bathroom) and it's really great for that. It's fast, (relatively) stable, and has long range. It also works well as destination transportation but at 30 lbs and given its configuration, even folded, it's not very convenient to get in or out of my -9A even with a Supertrax canopy.

A OneWheel would be great but I can't afford 6 weeks in a cast.

Just bought a Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike used from Ebay Returns Department ... $100. They're about $400 new and can't be found right now.

20" wheels, aluminum frame, single speed, coaster brake! Weighs 22 lbs. It rides just fine and my plan is to strap it in the front seat as Floog mentioned.

Looking forward to some expedited sight seeing next summer!

Cheers

Attachments

• urbana.jpg
    urbana.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 185
Jetsons are dangerous. Wife saw one at a campground and had to have one. With the small wheels and narrow handle bars if you sneeze you will be in the weeds.

One Wheel

The One-Wheel Electric Skate board might be fun but also possibly a good way to take a spill. They are not cheap... list for $1400 to $2200. :eek: However it is super compact. I know little to nothing about them but seen video of them "off roading".

Be sure to search YouTube for "one wheel crashes". 😳😳😳

I am looking at either a Brompton or a Montague folding bike. I have been debating which one longer than I debated which RV kit to order!

I have one of each. The Brompton is much smaller and easy to get into action. The Montague takes some assembling. The Brompton fits in the back seat of the RV-4. There was no way I could the the Montague (Paratrooper) to fit.

20 inch wheels or larger

I tried ones with smaller wheels and decided that wheels 20 inch and larger seem to work best for anything more than a few miles and or dirt/grass paths.

I have one of each. The Brompton is much smaller and easy to get into action. The Montague takes some assembling. The Brompton fits in the back seat of the RV-4. There was no way I could the the Montague (Paratrooper) to fit.

Well that makes my decision easier. I was leaning toward the Brompton. I am pretty tiny so I don’t look completely ridiculous on one and they have such nice accessories. I have a shop nearby that carries both but they have not had a Montague for awhile. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Be sure to search YouTube for "one wheel crashes". ������
Ha ha. Oh my. WOW! Yea I'm not as bendy as I once was. Mark Patey brother of Mike Patey of "Draco" fame broke his femur. Ouch. I threw that option out there for comments. Thanks. You saved my life. :)

Folding Bike Brompton is top of the line with price to match. I'll be on the look out for used one. There are other brands of similar design but don't want an anchor weight either. I have a Ancheer Folding Mountain Pedal + Electric bike 26" wheels. It folds to toss in the hatchback but would not fit in the plane and weighs 60lbs. I do like the electric assist.

Last edited:
for a while i am looking for a transport device that i can carry in my 7. i'm a big fan of all these lithium ion powered gizmos like scooters, one wheelers, ebikes etc... these are just cool.
but i am not sure if it's such a great idea to have one of these things in an aircraft. thermal runaways occur seldom but they happen. if your escooter starts to smoke on the street... you just get off. if that happens in your RV... not so cool.

probably i will just get some simple leg powered folding bike.

Citizen Bike?

I just looked for a Brompton bike and this add came up. Since you could get 3-4 of them for the cost of a Brompton, it cant be nearly the same quality. I have believed most of the time you get what you pay form but sometimes good works as good as great. Anyone try one of these or another cheaper bike?

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=10&product_color=45&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-HjErBJ7iSuJCcFKVeN7AOq3ia8ouRY6meaTIru1oSLI8krPqMyfDYaAlSKEALw_wcB

Attachments

• tokyo_1000px_orange.jpg
    tokyo_1000px_orange.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 73
I just looked for a Brompton bike and this add came up. Since you could get 3-4 of them for the cost of a Brompton, it cant be nearly the same quality. I have believed most of the time you get what you pay form but sometimes good works as good as great. Anyone try one of these or another cheaper bike?

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=10&product_color=45&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhMOMBhDhARIsAPVml-HjErBJ7iSuJCcFKVeN7AOq3ia8ouRY6meaTIru1oSLI8krPqMyfDYaAlSKEALw_wcB

I took a look at the ad but couldn't find the folded dimension. Pretty sure the Brompton folds quite a bit smaller, has internally geared hub and 16" wheels. I call my Brompton my clown bike but it is remarkably efficient and I am a bike guy. Mine is lightened a bit, no fenders and comes in at around 20 lbs.

Zizzo

My RV 7 kit is still in production, so I can't comment on the RV fit just yet, but for my current Rans S-20 I use a Zizzo Liberte folding bicycle. 450 bucks, 23 pounds, 8 speeds, 27 x 31 x 12.5 folded. I wouldn't take it to the track and do the jumps and halfpipe ramps, but it has a good solid feel and has worked very well for my intentions.

I also often use a Go-Ped GSR sport, which is an awesomely fun way to travel 1 to 5 miles or so from the airport, although I have been known to claim it is by far the most sketchy piece of transportation I own due to the small wheels and the credible level of speed it can achieve.

As OP glad the thread drifted to folding bikes. That's where I'm going. Brompton has always been a premium high-quality folding bike. If you can get a used one for $1,000 it's a deal. But what about other bikes? They may be slightly bigger folded, weigh bit more, and not have as quiet the features and high-quality materials but may works.

Dahon
Tern
ZiZZO
Bike Friday
Retrospect
Fabricbike
Riese Müller (very expensive)
Kwiggle
Citizen
Hummingbird
Helix
STAiTA
Ti Aton

If approx specs: 12", 16", 18", 20" rim, weigh is 25 to 28 lbs, folded Dim. under 26 X 27 X 11 inches give a take a little. Ride quality gears are other factors. A single speed coster brake bike is going to work and be cheaper. However a long bike tour with it will not be as enjoyable or easy riding as 8 speed Brompton. There are brands as or more expensive than a Brompton. It would be nice to try different brands. No matter how light or compact folded or price, if you hate riding it then it's pointless.

Last edited:
The Citizen alloy frames (Rome, etc.) are pretty light and priced well.
I bugged them a few years ago to make some lighter models for us RV'ers.

I thought a One wheel would be great. Fast forward 3 falls, a rotator cuff injury, multiple abrasions. A friend crashed his twice; one end up with nearly severed achilles tendon, and the other crack ribs, pneumothorax and a chest tube. Third friend ended up with wrist injury, and multiple abrasions. Mark Patey I believe ended up with a fractured hip.

Really wish these would just go away. I personally feel safer skydiving, flying, mountain biking, etc...

Electric Unicycle - EUC

I started on a One Wheel, and after taking a header at 15MPH, I switched to an Electric Unicycle (EUC). My EUC weighs 27lbs and fits easily in the back of my RV-6. I bought a used Inmotion V8 for $700 as my starter wheel. It weighs 27 lbs, has 20 mi of range and 19 mph top speed with me riding it.

In my experience when I fall on the EUC, I am in a more natural position to "run" out of the fall, versus when riding the One Wheel where you are sideways, and it is much harder to fall gracefully. My EUC also has a MUCH lower chance of "stopping" at speed versus One Wheels. In my 8 months of owning it I have only fallen a few times - mainly as I was learning to ride. In all but one case I was able to maintain my balance and walk out of crash. The one time I scraped up my knee I was at very slow speed turning and my legs got crossed up. Of course you can "gear up" and reduce your chance of rash significantly.

EUC riding is harder to master, but once you get the hang of riding, it is really fun and easy to ride. You can match walking speed if you are in heavy pedestrian traffic and you can speed up to 20 mph (with my Inmotion V8) when coast is clear. It took me 2-3 hours of practice before I felt comfortable riding trails.

For me it has been a perfect companion for my flying. The only drawback is I have to get my passengers to learn to ride one so they can keep up with me!

Attachments

• IMG_9304.JPG
    IMG_9304.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 143
As OP glad the thread drifted to folding bikes. That's where I'm going. Brompton has always been a premium high-quality folding bike. If you can get a used one for $1,000 it's a deal. But what about other bikes? They may be slightly bigger folded, weigh bit more, and not have as quiet the features and high-quality materials but may works.

Dahon
Tern
ZiZZO
Bike Friday
Retrospect
Fabricbike
Riese Müller (very expensive)
Kwiggle
Citizen
Hummingbird
Helix
STAiTA
Ti Aton

If approx specs: 12", 16", 18", 20" rim, weigh is 25 to 28 lbs, folded Dim. under 26 X 27 X 11 inches give a take a little. Ride quality gears are other factors. A single speed coster brake bike is going to work and be cheaper. However a long bike tour with it will not be as enjoyable or easy riding as 8 speed Brompton. There are brands as or more expensive than a Brompton. It would be nice to try different brands. No matter how light or compact folded or price, if you hate riding it then it's pointless.

Your list omits the Bike Friday "Tikit', which will fold as small as a Brommie and comes in at less $$$.

-Marc

Last edited:
You list omits the Bike Friday "Tikit', which will fold as small as a Brommie and comes in at less $$$. -Marc
Well it is not forgetting as much as my ignorance on the subject. I know only a little about the topic. There are many brands and some as or more expensive than the Brompton's. Paying $2000 to $6000 for a folding bike...No. There are some odd ball designs as well and they can be in the $1500. There are so many unbranded models (from China) it's a see of folding bikes. Some may be OK, often they look like copies but likely with steel not light alloys and elegant machined parts. This is a real niche market. Therefore you see many for sale used. The high quality ones maintain their their price, but you can get some savings. The known brands like Brompton still support their bikes, so getting parts should be less of an issue than with some non-branded model.

For me I think 16" will be smallest rim, 20" largest. I might want to go for a 3-5 mile bike ride. Some of these folding bikes are made to only go a few blocks or a mile from the subway station to their apartment or work. The small tiny wheel bikes say less than 14" are for around the airport IMHO.

Weight wise they all are in the 25 lb range. You pay dearly to get lighter toward the 20lb end. However you don't want too light. I want a frame that will not break. It would be bad going 20 mph and have the frame break when you hit a bump. Also features like multi gears and handle brakes, cargo rack are all nice to have but add weight. Less than 30 lbs is a must. Lighter the better.

I own a Ancheer folding E-Bike, mountain bike, front rear suspension, 21 gears, disk brakes, 26" wheels. It is nice, folded I can put it in the back of a hatchback, but it takes the whole back of the cargo area. However I don't need a bike rack. Drive over to the park and ride around. It is nice having that Elect assist or even no pedal mode if you want. However it weighs about 60 lbs and would not fit in an RV even folded. I only paid $400 for it. They are now about $750. I have taken it to Oshkosh 2 times when I drove to Airventure and camped out. Perfect for getting back and forth from Camping to the gates.

Last edited:
I also have a One-Wheel. No problems yet. Practiced on the grass for a while, and it became second nature. It's not necessarily speedy, at least my fear keeps me away from it's Vne, but handy. Frankly, I never thought of it as a stowaway airplane transportation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Might have a look at this one

Here is a video review of the SAVA 72 Carbon fiber. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV85CiaE5pE

Their website shows it as being 20 lbs with a price of $1229

I haven’t seen this bike in person, just did a quick search for lightweight 16” bikes that would fold and made of carbon fiber.

Looks like the folded size would be about 28.7” X 25.5”

We have two Citizen Tokyos. Not a terrible riding bike, especially with the nicer seat, but we could not really easily get them in the back of the tip up -6 we had previously. The -7 slider with the supertracks makes loading easier, two bikes pretty much fills the baggage compartment.

We have two Citizen Tokyos. Not a terrible riding bike, especially with the nicer seat, but we could not really easily get them in the back of the tip up -6 we had previously. The -7 slider with the supertracks makes loading easier, two bikes pretty much fills the baggage compartment.
Nice PIREP. Thank you.. Yep super tracks would be in order for sure. Solo front seat is an option. Brompton 16" wheels is kind of the sweet spot for folded compactness, weight and ride quality. I'll be looking for a used steal, err I mean deal.

Last edited:
Nice PIREP. Thank you.. Yep super tracks would be in order for sure. Solo front seat is an option. Brompton 16" wheels is kind of thw sweet spot for folded compactness, weight and rude quality. I'll be looking for a used steal err I mean deal.

I happen to have a Brompton M3 for sale. Also a Bike Friday Tikit. Send me a PM if interested.

-Marc

Back