What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken tool contest...did I win?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Well, I've broken my share of drill bits over the years, but this is a new one for me.

Was using my favorit-est Dotco to drill the 1/4" hole between the roll bar and the fwd roll bar brace with a stubby bit and managed to sheer the bit off at the drill motor head.

Note I didn't say the bit broke, it sheered off at the threads, leaving the threads in the head of the drill motor. What the heck?

(yeah, I know all about left handed drill bits and eze-outs, I'm just posting here more for the oddity value).

Any other contenders out there for a tool that broke in a weird/unexpected way?

Contestants to be judged on originality and the ability to break something unbreakable. Bonus points if you started a fire.

Attachments

• IMG_6364.jpg
    IMG_6364.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 333
Brand new. Used about 4 times....

Isn't Milbar supposed to be the top-of-the-line brand for safety wire pliers? I was thinking about buying one of the smaller, one-hand operation ones. But if that is a testament to their quality control, mmm, maybe not.

Drilling the safety wire hole for the flap actuator, I sheared the drill bit off. Got mad and set it aside for a few days.

Picked it up again last week. Was gonna try drilling a new hole in a different location. The broken bit fell out, leaving a perfect safety wire hole. :)

I broke a An fitting in a brake master cylinder...:eek:
Then, I broke a bolt extractor in the broken fitting...:mad:
Both times using hand tools.

(I must say that the extractor was manufactured in a very large asian country starting with the letter C...)

Grove came to my rescue and fixed it... :cool:
Thumbs up to them !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Capture d’écran, le 2021-11-10 aÌ€ 11.07.57.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2021-11-10 aÌ€ 11.07.57.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
Just to circle back, this is what victory looks like. I'm the king of the world :)

Attachments

• IMG_6366.jpg
    IMG_6366.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 238
Keep it coming

I like where this thread is going.

About 3 years ago early in my build I spent what felt like an eternity (really only a week) waiting for a replacement #40 countersink cutter because I snapped the pilot off the first one. I even spent the extra money on a single hole style after hearing they cut a cleaner countersink. After excited opening the package, I went to the shop and got ready to use it. It made exactly 1 turn before the pilot snapped off. :mad:

I went back to the cheaper 3 flute types after that and haven't broken another one since.

I've broken two back rivet tips for my 3x rivet gun so far. The little pin that holds the floating plastic head in place only lasts a few thousand rivets, at least how I do it.

As for fire, I mixed too much West Systems with too much flox and micro. Didn't quite get flames, but there was heavy smoke.

Sometimes I just don't know my own strength... :p

Attachments

• 20170302_063710.jpg
    20170302_063710.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170302_063653.jpg
    20170302_063653.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 134
I’m going to lose this one but I figure I’d share due to amount of times breaking. I’ve snapped about 6 #40 reamers. Anytime my drill gets put down firmly or dropped, there goes another.

This was a surprise...

AM-JKLV7XKy4uJWGHjiKtiUrGjdYeaj3huuXGgBqccYI6oHbVYlUVj4gEVBbP-EBAgv2vaA-DJUtXBZlHCPn1rwF2d9vIgnEDQ51aHs47VONUnVjR6U8Orejfh3D7BcMEDVJXYA688lzxN_8AS6ptg28ReMqmw=w800

This made it through backriveting one top wing skin, and then broke when starting the other wing.

Cleaveland tool was great and sent a replacement right away though.

Back