What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco brake pads and rivets P/N

bobg56

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the part numbers for the Matco pads and rivets, looking to order from AC Spruce but not sure what to order...thanks

I opted for the MATCO exchange program. There is an initial fee for the first set you buy and then just send in the worn ones and get reclined pads back. The cost difference between each exchange and the redline kit more than covered the hassle of doing it myself.

I opted for the MATCO exchange program. There is an initial fee for the first set you buy and then just send in the worn ones and get reclined pads back. The cost difference between each exchange and the redline kit more than covered the hassle of doing it myself.
Does not get any better than that.

+! swap them after my annual - ready for the next year

I have a dumb question. I bought a couple WHLBRL-1 reline kits awhile ago just to have some stock on hand..

How do I actually do a re-lining? Just use my standard rivet squeezer that I've been using to do the build? That sounds too easy.

That sounds pretty good. Where do I find info on the MATCO exchange program? I looked on the MATCO site but didn't see it. Thanks in advance.

I have a dumb question. I bought a couple WHLBRL-1 reline kits awhile ago just to have some stock on hand..

How do I actually do a re-lining? Just use my standard rivet squeezer that I've been using to do the build? That sounds too easy.

Use Rapco Brake Lining Rivet Set & Punch Tool. Does very nice professional job...

If you get them from Spruce you will not get any of the long brass rivets required. I ordered my next set and extra rivets directly from Matco

Ray, just give them a call and they will set you up for the exchange program. The phone number is n the MATCO owner manual.

Can someone elaborate on the exchange program? I'm assuming you get charged more the first time as you are getting pads and the plates they reside on? So you send in your old pads and plates and they redo them for you? Kind of confused here...

Can someone elaborate on the exchange program? I'm assuming you get charged more the first time as you are getting pads and the plates they reside on? So you send in your old pads and plates and they redo them for you? Kind of confused here...

You have the basic idea. The Matco website describes the procedure. If you actually have a 7 and not a 12, then you'll need to do some homework to see which Matco brake Swiftline kit to get set up with.

i-fjFMsxW.png

The math is a no-brainer, the only reason to not use Swiftline would be if you actually LIKE relining your brake shoes. I just send in the old shoes when I remove them and they send back the relined shoes a few days later. Then I always have a set of brakes on the shelf.

You have the basic idea. The Matco website describes the procedure. If you actually have a 7 and not a 12, then you'll need to do some homework to see which Matco brake Swiftline kit to get set up with.

i-fjFMsxW.png

The math is a no-brainer, the only reason to not use Swiftline would be if you actually LIKE relining your brake shoes. I just send in the old shoes when I remove them and they send back the relined shoes a few days later. Then I always have a set of brakes on the shelf.

I just sent in a set, $35.99, -$7.99 discount, plus shipping both ways, total should be about $45.30.

DIY cost; pads $35.99 + shipping $8.30 = $44.29, not worth your time even if you have the press and dies.

Last edited:
I just did new pads and rotors on my 8. I timed myself. Punching out 3 old rivets and pressing 3 new ones in with new pads took a grand total of 2 minutes per pad. That included a quick wire brushing and a squirt with brake cleaner
Pads are about the easiest item on the plane to replace.

I just did new pads and rotors on my 8. I timed myself. Punching out 3 old rivets and pressing 3 new ones in with new pads took a grand total of 2 minutes per pad. That included a quick wire brushing and a squirt with brake cleaner
Pads are about the easiest item on the plane to replace.

The price difference is $1.01 for a set of 4 pads, DIY vs Matco. You labor rate works out to $7.75 an hour over having Matco do it for you, plus you have $$ investment in a press and dies, just saying.

To each their own, I suppose if I was in a pinch and was AOG and had pads and rivets on hand I would DIY. I usually have a year to rotate my worn ones so there is no rush.

It’s easier to justify DIY if you buy multiple sets at a time and not have to factor in shipping two ways each time you burn through a set of pads. Next time I pass by Aero Performance in Fort Worth I’ll buy a few sets and put them on the parts shelf with all the other supplies I have accumulated for the plane.. I already own an arbor press. :D

The price difference is $1.01 for a set of 4 pads, DIY vs Matco. You labor rate works out to $7.75 an hour over having Matco do it for you, plus you have $$ investment in a press and dies, just saying.

To each their own, I suppose if I was in a pinch and was AOG and had pads and rivets on hand I would DIY. I usually have a year to rotate my worn ones so there is no rush.

I just like to do things with my hands. Priceless:) AND, I don’t know anywhere else I could make that much per hour.

Is there a way to replace the brakes without removing the wheels or else brake lines?
Am I removing the wheels unnecessarily?

Hi Joe

You can change the brakes without removing the wheel. Remember, you have to have the wheel in place to reassemble the brake. You probably have to remove the fairing flange and cut the zip ties on the brake line to get working clearance.

i-pR4XdrB-L.jpg

Even if it can be done it would seem there is value in pulling the wheel and examining the axel spindle and tapered bearings.

Back