What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Specific Tools

Everwild

Well Known Member
Is it just me, or does it seem like each new assembly requires another special tool to complete it?

I have the RV-10 tool package from Cleveland, but it seems like there is always something else I need to do the job.

One example, setting the two rivets on the rudder that are under the rudder horn arms. They are too close to the horn arms for the pneumatic squeezer or the rivet gun with a standard length set. I'm now ordering a long reach flat rivet set to get around the horn arms.

It's frustrating waiting for a week+ for a tool order to come in to complete a step.

What other specialty tools do I need to order so I can keep making progress?

Yokes? Rivet sets? Bucking bars? Other specialty tools? What couldn't you live without, outside the normal tool kit inventory?

The tool kits are a good starting point, but you'll be buying (or begging/stealing) additional tools throughout the process, at least that's been my experience thus far.

My toolset from Planetools came with a longer rivet head for -4 rivets that has an offset of about 3/8 inch. If you are going to order a new rivet head, I suggest that one - not only does it give you the longer reach that you need (it's about 6 inches long, instead of the 3 inches for my straight -4 rivet head), but the offset also allows you to rivet straight when a rivet is too close to something for the rivet gun to run straight. The offset allows the body of the rivet gun to be far enough away from the side of the material that it won't hit / scratch / mar it.

I found that for some reason using the offset rivet head generally had better results for even easy-to-reach rivets than did the straight head. The fact that the rivet head rotates and floats a bit seemed to leave fewer rivets with a "smile" than the straight head. Might just be my technique, or maybe the freedom of movement is more flexible for better results.

An example: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/doubleoffset.php

Last edited:
A couple of other -10 specific tools I can think of:

1) The drill bit you need to drill the main gear to the main gear weldment.

2) The countersink you need for the screws that attach the shoulder belts to the cabin top.

I don't remember anything else that was unique to the -10, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute...

At various times, you might need to track down
- Left handed monkey wrench
- Chem light batteries
- Relative bearing grease
- Taxi light fluid

Snap Socs

You may want to consider the use of these little Snap Soc gadgets as a tool. Really helps with keeping the smilies to a minimum when setting universal rivets. They really worked for me. You won’t need many for a RV as they last for about 20/30 rivets.

Keith

http://jadeinc.ca/

For the unique/hard to reach places, don't be afraid to make your own bucking bar.

You can get creative with the tools here.

Also, consider using a drill size bigger when drilling holes for nut plates (only where the screws go). When you dimple, less likely to create small cracks. For example, plans say #19, do a #18

You'll find all kinds of advice here

Back