What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avidyne software upgrades

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I have searched high and low for release notes for the IFD540 software upgrades. I asked this question on the avidyne forums over at Avidyne.com but got crickets... I was hoping to find a source for the release notes from 10.2.1.0 to current. Anybody familiar?

Thanks,

Dennis

I looked in my IFD540 SW update folder with data going back to the 10.1.1 upgrade in 2015 up to the 10.2.3.1 upgrade and did not see any release notes for any version. They all come with a new Pilot's Guide and occasional Flight Manual Supplement. I usually just read the Pilot's Guide to remind myself how much this unit can do and reinforce some of the "Cool Feature" functions after I install the update. Current documentation is available on the Avidyne website:

https://www.avidyne.com/product/ifd540-fms-gps-navigator/#tab-id-4

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Avidyne Forum

It might take a little digging, but Avidyne has published release notes for at least some of the software revisions in the form of posts to the forum - typically from "AviSteve" who is apparently an Avidyne employee and is posting in an official capacity.
Here is a post from him on 11-Feb-2020:

Topic: 10.2.4.1 Is Released
Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:06pm
Release 10.2.4.1 is now available. Installation of this release is optional and is available through an Avidyne dealer.

Here are the release notes:

Bug fixes
- Fixed error when inserting an approach prior to an active destination
- Allow lightning to be displayed with AviatorLT subscription with XMD076
- Fixed issue when using same com port for input at one baud rate and output at a different rate.
- Fixed issue caused by rubber banding with different databases
- Fixed com presets button on BT keyboard
- Inhibited Datalink page when no datalink sensor is configured

Improvements
- Reduced nuisance datalink alerts
- Add password protection capability to maintenance mode (for fleet Mx)
- Reformatted main system config page in maintenance mode
- Allow configurations with both AXP340 and AXP322
- Improved transponder control from the datablock
- Added user option to disable WiFi ADS-B output
- Improved fuel range ring depiction
- Changed demo mode to always enable Capstone configuration

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Thanks guys. I saw that note and I will go get the docs. Dynon has spoiled me with their transparent, logical, and well documented approach to upgrades. Avidyne seems mysterious to me. I thought maybe I didn’t have the secret decoder ring.

Have either of you upgraded to 10.2.4.1?

Almost

I am currently one rev behind 10.2.4.1. I have updated my IFD440 twice.
Avidyne is pretty easy to work with (in my experience). You should just call their customer support number or contact them through their website and explain what you need. You will probably have to emphasize that you are an experimental guy. Typically, they just email you a link for downloading the update package.

I installed the 10.2.4.1 update in my 540 in April 2020, usually takes about an hour to backup current settings and run the installer. I have done eight version update install cycles and never had a problem. I am pleased that Avidyne lets the EAB community do their own upgrades if you think you are capable. Downside is you can brick your 440/540 if you mess up the install.

10.3 is "due out soon", which could be a long wait because the update has to go through the TSO approval process. This unit already does far more than I will ever use, so I do not mind the wait, plus I have yet to fly Skyview 16.0.1 with 10.2.4.1. Flying coupled AP GPS and ILS approaches with the Dynon Skyview is about the most complex use I currently have for it. Now if I could get Dynon to support a throttle actuator/servo for an Auto Throttle capability with the VNAV/GS ...

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Today is the day!

Glad to hear positive experiences on the upgrades. It will be raining today so maybe both the Avidyne and the Dynon upgrade will be accomplished.

Thanks

Avidyne firmware upgrade

Hello,

Just to be fair, I am big Garmin fan, maybe because I have been flying and installing Garmin avionics for many years. I got an RV-10 that was already flying and I have been feeling really frustrated with trying to setup Avidyne IFD-540 and AFS-5600, I bought Jeppesen database subscription for more than 1K and haven't been able to upload on Avidyne with firmware 10.1.0.0, just call Avidyne and they said I need to upgrade firmware on a dealer, I live in Chile and this is not gonna be easy, they refused to send me the new firmware even my aircraft is experimental.

Cheers,

Fernando Abasolo (ex AirbusPilot, lost the password)
Santiago Chile
Waiting for two RV-12iS, fully loaded with Garmin Avionics for my flying school
Flying RV-10 (SCTB) SN 40548, Tail Number CC-AUD (Got it flying, still trying to finish last 1%, Quickbuilt Kit)
Flying RV-7 (SCMP) SN 74467, Tail Number CC-ASP (Finished last 10%, Quickbuild Kit)
Flying RV-8 (SCSE) SN 83290, Tail Number CC-AJC (Builder, Quickbuild kit)
Flying RV-8 (SCTB) SN 82727, Tail Number CC-PXG (Builder, Standard kit)

Last edited:
What version of software is the IFD currently running?

Do you have a ground power supply that will run the panel for over an hour?

Was the IFD purchased from AFS or another dealer?

Send me an email with your contact info and I can help you solve it.

Where in Chile is the RV-10? Our new sales manager is from Chile and can probably also help.

[email protected]

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Listened to a webinar from ADI last week and it appears that a new update is coming soon? Also it was noted that a dealer would need to install BUT for Experimental's there will be a form ( available from AVI) to submit so it can be done by the owner. Will looking into this more and update and will share any new info.

Last edited:
Listened to a webinar from ADI last week and it appears that a new update is coming soon? Also it was noted that a dealer would need to install BUT for Experimental's there will be a form ( available from AVI) to submit so it can be done by the owner. Will looking into this more and update and will share any new info.

That software update has been rumored for quite awhile. Looking forward to it.

When I bought my IFD440, I needed to install some updates to activate wifi and bluetooth capabiliuty. I called Avidyne, endured some mild grumbling about "you Experimental guys that don't have the dealer do the install", but in the end he was very helpful, emailed me the .dsf file and that update went very smoothly.

I believe in Avidyne and the products enough that we recently became a dealer. If I can be of any help, feel free to email us at [email protected] and I will find you an answer if I don't know it myself.

10.3 is very close, if you were at Sun N Fun the demo units had 10.3 installed on them. My information said weeks, but with all software along with FAA approvals things happen.

Avidyne software update to 10.3.0.2 appears to be available for download.

https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb...c35757c23f9ae09c74070ac2bf3cfa7869e3cfd4ff832

The whole process for download and preparing the USB stick is pretty straightforward. The software can be requested here:

https://lz314.infusionsoft.app/app/form/103software

You can download immediately to yourself if your airplane is Experimental and doesn't require A&P signoff as "minor alteration". I haven't examined the process in detail yet, but the upload itself seems a little arcane. When I'm ungrounded, I might fly down to Stein and have him do it.

10.3.0.2 Issues

Avidyne software update to 10.3.0.2 appears to be available for download.

https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb...c35757c23f9ae09c74070ac2bf3cfa7869e3cfd4ff832

The whole process for download and preparing the USB stick is pretty straightforward. The software can be requested here:

https://lz314.infusionsoft.app/app/form/103software

You can download immediately to yourself if your airplane is Experimental and doesn't require A&P signoff as "minor alteration". I haven't examined the process in detail yet, but the upload itself seems a little arcane. When I'm ungrounded, I might fly down to Stein and have him do it.

FYI - there is at least one issue with this release - on some (but apparently not all) units, the COM frequencies do not persist across power cycles but instead default to 118.2 and 132.65 on power up. Not a fatal problem but definitely annoying. Avidyne is aware of the issue.

Quite a list of improvements…seems like a pretty ambitious upgrade. As Dan noted, there are a few bugs that Avidyne appears to be trying to sort out. I’m grounded for a few more weeks (can’t even sit in my airplane) so I have some time to see how this plays out. The Avidyne forums are a good source of info on this issue. AviSteve is a very engaged forum Admin.

IFD 5XX/4XX Software Version 10.3.0.2 introduces improvements to the following:

FMS

Add support for non-AR procedures containing RF legs *
Add visual approaches *
Add support for oceanic navigation mode
Add Enroute VNAV *
Add aural alert for waypoint passage *
Add ability to set OBS on IFDs without a radio
Add OBS selected course digital readout
Allow window constraints to be edited *
Fix virtual keyboard display when editing user waypoints
Allow uploading/downloading user waypoints from/to CSV file (via Mx Mode) *
Map

Fixed map popups
Formatting for long METARs
Changed ETE to be a live value instead of a snapshot
Placement error when map is in forward view
Datalink
Change datalink CAS message from "Not Rcvd" to "Overdue"
Support ADS-B Icing, Lightning, Cloud Tops, Turbulence *
Charts
Center aircraft diagrams on the aircraft *
Add option to enable/disable charts (via Mx Mode) *
Certified TAWS / HTAWS
Support for Hi-Res terrain (requires hardware upgrade)
Add power line map layer
Modify radar display to use the Setup page distance/speed units settings
Aux

New Setup Page
Support up to 10 user profiles *
Allow WiFi configuration completely from flight mode
Com Preset List
Assume decimal point when setting a frequency *
Fix bug that allowed entry of invalid 8.33KHz channels in frequency list
Calculators/Timers
Assume decimal point when entering air data calculator baro setting *
Add weight calculator
Allow entry of negative temperature values in calculators
Fix trip timer to stop counting upon landing *
Sys page
Display IFD serial number on SYS page
Display fuel flows for each engine in a twin engine aircraft *
Remove AUX button coloring when advisory has been acknowledged *
Fix ADS-B station reception rate calculation
Fix checklist TOC item not being unchecked when subordinate item is edited
General

Add ability for one IFD to tune the radio of the other IFD
Dismiss frequency list after a period of inactivity *
Remove WiFi Allow/Ignore dialog on power up *
Interfaces

Add datablock to display AGL altitude from a radar altimeter
Support remote mount Becker BXT65xx transponder
Fixed IFD network so it doesn't advertise internet access *
Allow IFD to display data from a portable ADS-B In device *
Allow IFD to be an ADS-B position source for GDL-88 *
Improved gnd/alt transition logic for AXP322 with squat switch
Fix bluetooth keyboard swap key so holding it down sets 121.5 *
Maintenance Mode

Add ownship icon for canard aircraft *
Add PIN notice saying you don't actually need one
Fix places where PIN protected changes don't persist
Fix wording in bluetooth pairing instructions
Add various settings to support new functions (RF Legs, VNAV, Weight Calculator, Disabling Charts)

Reviewing the Avidyne forums over the last several days...it does not appear that this 10.3.0.2 update is entirely ready for the masses. It seems to me that, especially for those of us Experimental guys that would be attempting the software install ourselves, it might be more prudent to wait for a few of the bugs to be ironed out.

Reviewing the Avidyne forums over the last several days...it does not appear that this 10.3.0.2 update is entirely ready for the masses. It seems to me that, especially for those of us Experimental guys that would be attempting the software install ourselves, it might be more prudent to wait for a few of the bugs to be ironed out.

Agreed. There are a few too many bugs in this version.

Upgraded my C182 from 10.2.4 to 10.3 yesterday. Broke the wifi hotspot capability (to enable iPad FF to connect. Frequency,s didn’t save when unit was power cycled. After messing with it for hours, downgraded to 10.2.6 and all is good. Lots of time wasted as it takes 1hr+ for each update plus time manually document all settings in case they don’t carry over.

I love my IFD540 but this was a little frustrating.

Upgraded my C182 from 10.2.4 to 10.3 yesterday. Broke the wifi hotspot capability (to enable iPad FF to connect. Frequency,s didn’t save when unit was power cycled. After messing with it for hours, downgraded to 10.2.6 and all is good. Lots of time wasted as it takes 1hr+ for each update plus time manually document all settings in case they don’t carry over.

I love my IFD540 but this was a little frustrating.

My IFD440 is an awesome navigator and is a huge upgrade over the 430W that it replaced. On paper, 10.3.0.2 is a really great update, but I’m just gonna wait.

FYI, the new software version 10.3.1.2 is out and available for experimental guys to download and install. . . . . . . .

I just installed this update about a week ago - went just fine. Didn't take as long as some of the previous ones. I can verify that the COM frequency retention across power cycle bug is fixed. That was the only bug that had been biting me.

I just installed this update about a week ago - went just fine. Didn't take as long as some of the previous ones. I can verify that the COM frequency retention across power cycle bug is fixed. That was the only bug that had been biting me.

Excellent, thanks.

Back