What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data OUT wire for Aera 560 or 660

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
I pulled the GPS out of the panel to find out why I wasn't hearing the alerts and found it's not connected to anything. It's only connected to power and ground.

The cable has the 2 power wires and also 2 additional thinner wires. Does anyone know what those 2 extra wires are? I was going to open it up and see if I can wire just one of them to Data Out (to connect it to the JPI 830) so I don't have to buy an entire data cable from Garmin just for that 1 wire but if anyone knows or has done it already it'll save me time.

Attachments

• IMG_9064.jpg
    IMG_9064.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
On my Garmin GPSMap 696 the two "extra" wires are RS232 in and out. I don'w remember which is which, but the manual tells.

Thanks. I think what the previous owner did was cut the cigarette plug off and powered it up directly. Still don't know what those 2 smaller wires are for but it seems like I might have to buy a data cable just for that so I'm now going to have to decide if I install the 560 or the 660 in the panel again and get the cable for that one.

Back