What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

refinishing wheel pants - protective grommets?

MacCool

Well Known Member
My 11 year old wheel pants (RV-9A) are a little rough with scuffs, scratches, stress cracks, and a scraped area from a flat-tire landing. Over the winter, and while I have them off for condition inspection, I plan on taking them over to the local body shop and get them repaired and refinished.

Somewhere, I remember seeing metal grommets available for protecting the edges of the towbar holes in the nosewheel wheel pant. Anybody know what I'm talking about, and have a source?

I use a large rubber grommet for this. Perhaps not quite as slick, but installs in seconds and is much less expensive

Erich

My 11 year old wheel pants (RV-9A) are a little rough with scuffs, scratches, stress cracks, and a scraped area from a flat-tire landing. Over the winter, and while I have them off for condition inspection, I plan on taking them over to the local body shop and get them repaired and refinished.

Somewhere, I remember seeing metal grommets available for protecting the edges of the towbar holes in the nosewheel wheel pant. Anybody know what I'm talking about, and have a source?

Be cautious here, as a LOT of body shops have little to no fiberglass experience (very few fiberglass autos out there). Stress or spider cracking needs F/G reinforcement work. An unskilled body shop will just sand it down, add bondo and re-paint. Stress cracks are guaranteed to come back with this approach, as most F/G part will not show paint cracks until the F/G core has been compromised.

Larry

Last edited:
Back