What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instruction needed in RV14 for Insurance

ktaylorn81

I'm New Here
My insurance company is requiring I get five hours instruction in an RV14 before insuring me for flying mine solo.

Can someone recommend an instructor with an RV14 who might provide that instruction?

I estimate my RV14 will be ready for first flight in February 2022. My home airport is Camarillo, CA. I have 414 hours of tailwheel time, and just over 10K flight hours total.

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I do have a question. How many hours minimum is your insurance wanting?

RV14 instruction

Matthew at Lift drag aviation is a CFI and has done dual training in a couple of 14 owners here in San Diego. Pm me for his number ..

Go back to the main page this site. Look on the left side and you’ll see a list of topics. Find “Transition Training.”

The Vans website also has information about transition training as well.

I flew my RV-14 transition training with Mike Seager in Oregon. In October 2019, he used the Van’s prototype for this. Try to choose a month when there will actually be some VFR conditions to fly in. Call him when it’s not good flying weather. He kind of flies all the time. I was very happy with the training experience and Mike’s teaching style in this plane.

I flew my RV-14 transition training with Mike Seager in Oregon. In October 2019, he used the Van’s prototype for this. Try to choose a month when there will actually be some VFR conditions to fly in. Call him when it’s not good flying weather. He kind of flies all the time. I was very happy with the training experience and Mike’s teaching style in this plane.

Agree - I flew with Mike for my -14A transition training; he is fantastic as many can attest. In April he had about a 5mo. wait list, so hopefully that has subsided some.

_Alex

my insurance company allowed for 5 hrs training in similar type.... RV7 training for RV9 first flight and not required to have an instructor, just 5 hrs PIC. I needed to ask the insurance company for this permission and my log book was signed off for the 5 hrs PIC by the RV7 pilot.

Last edited:
Is there any other answer than Mike Seager? I just did 5hrs with him a couple weeks ago in N214VA and will be doing another 5 when I’m ready to fly my plane.

Matthew at Lift drag aviation is a CFI and has done dual training in a couple of 14 owners here in San Diego. Pm me for his number ..

This comes up every so often so since the OP is new, I"ll repeat it:

There is a huge difference for the CFI between training someone in their RV, versus providing training in the CFI's RV (for a builder nearing completion). The latter is forbidden by the FARs (EAB cannot be used for compensation) unless, of course, the training is free. The CFI/owner needs a waiver ("LODA") from the FAA to do this. Now the LODA is not too hard to get - just paperwork. But the real issue is that the standard insurance policies do not cover using your aircraft to train others, for hire. Most CFIs with LODAs no longer offer this service, as the cost of insurance was such that it just wasn't worth it, economically. I *think* Tim Olson in MN may still be offering it (but he has a nose wheel -14) but only because he was already insuring his brand new pilot daughter, at a very high rate, so the transition training didn't increase his insurance cost that much more. Mike Seger is a special case, as he has access to some of Vans' demonstrators, which are NOT certified as EAB but rather factory-demonstration or something like that, and presumably Vans pays the insurance already for that use (or they go bare).

One option for the OP - given her high TW time - might be to go the "two pilot route" for phase 1, with an experienced RV14 TW pilot as the PIC. Now, the 2 pilot phase 1 program was NOT designed for giving/receiving dual instruction, so some sort of deal would need to be made with all parties concerned.

Last edited:
My insurance company is requiring I get five hours instruction in an RV14 before insuring me for flying mine solo.

Can someone recommend an instructor with an RV14 who might provide that instruction?

I estimate my RV14 will be ready for first flight in February 2022. My home airport is Camarillo, CA. I have 414 hours of tailwheel time, and just over 10K flight hours total.

I did my transition training with Zack the RV rep at New Garden, DE (you can find his contact info on the Van's website). I was unable to secure a suitable arrangement with Mike Seager.

Back