- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:42 AM

Default When stainless isn't stainless

I am in the process of an avionics upgrade which requires the installation of the red cube. My installation requires two 1/4 inch NPT to #6 AN straight fittings. I am installing all stainless steel fittings FWF. I found the fittings on Amazon and ordered them. They arrived yesterday and I immediately noticed that they sure seemed light. I pulled the packaging out of the garbage and saw that they are stainless steel "colored" aluminum. The ad clearly states they are stainless steel. They aren't. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1307DDC7-5B92-463D-8FBF-4187FA3D8127.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	18131  
Old 11-12-2021, 04:58 AM

Good reason why I don’t buy any parts or materials that go in my airplane from Amazon or any other non-aircraft internet seller. Amazon has especially become a huge source for stuff being sold that is mis-represented, counterfeit, or bait and switched. I have received multiple examples of all three. Definitely buyer be warned.
I do consider local non-aircraft part suppliers (like Lowe’s or Adv Auto) as I can touch and read their packaging before I buy.

Last edited by plehrke : 11-12-2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:04 AM

Default misleading ad

The advertisement seems to contradict itself because initially it states that the Material is Aluminum but then further down it says made from 303 stainless??
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 11-12-2021, 06:34 AM

The net is awash in garbage fittings.

If you need to go off the reservation for non-AN stainless steel, I'd suggest Parker or Eaton . Both are reputable manufacturers with a large network of local dealers.

Search "Parker Triple Lok" and "Eaton Flare Twin".

I prefer stainless firewall forward, but have no issue with good plating. Do not use black oxide coated steel fittings for fuel systems; too easy to get internal rust flakes. They are oil and hydraulic only.

Tom, you out there? Does TS Flightlines stock the small selection of common SS fittings we might use firewall forward?

Last edited by DanH : 11-12-2021 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:46 AM

Default Not only scams- but no way to correct errors in listing.

I wanted a ShopVac high efficiency filter. They are out of business.Only Amazon ad had the right part number, incorrect dimensions, and a correct photo. The customer comments (2 yrs old) had it measured close to correct. I ordered (for free shipping) and they were exactly like the original dimensions but not filter material. I measured and posted with others to let folks know - - then tried to get Amazon to correct the listing. There is not a single place to do that. I tried the chat bot - no joy, real person chat-no joy - - I called and spoke to a person. They sounded just like the bots reading a script - -lots of word dancing - -then they committed to write a trouble ticket and pass to the advertising department.

I won't try to help them again - just bad ratings. The big A remains as my last resort and only non-critical items.

RV-7
Old 11-12-2021, 07:35 AM

Default Thanks, Dan!

"Do not use black oxide coated steel fittings for fuel systems; too easy to get internal rust flakes. They are oil and hydraulic only."

Another gem from Dan Horton.

Merrill
Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Hi Dan----uhhhhhh yep.
Tom
p/s---Steve and I are thinking about a FWF adapter kit with stainless for the engine fittings and our MIL aluminum fittings for the sender manifold (VA168 and equivalent). Havent determined if we can justify this or not, but maybe some feedback here can sway or thoughts. I was thinking of the stainless with class 3 threads like our MIL aluminum fittings we have or our cabin brake systems that ALOT of you have. MOST stainless that you buy from industrial suppliers have class 2 threads.

Any feedback here?
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 11-12-2021, 08:56 AM

Tom, I'd say yes. We need a reliable vendor for these things. And I'm happy with the stainless -3 fittings you sold me for my brake system.

Dave
Old 11-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdevans9 View Post
"Do not use black oxide coated steel fittings for fuel systems; too easy to get internal rust flakes. They are oil and hydraulic only."

Another gem from Dan Horton.

Merrill
I have these black fittings all over the place in my fuel system. Maybe it's worth to discuss that point in more detail.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 AM

Local industrial hose fabricators, located in most every area, call aviation 37 degree fittings; 75 degree. Prices and quality of the product are good.