What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rust inside rudder horn

ravenstar

Well Known Member
I started work on my rudder assembly today and while I was preparing to final drill the rudder horn I noticed some surface rust inside the tube of the assembly. I know Van's directs priming any steel parts that aren't already painted, though I was surprised to find on close inspection the small unpainted area in this part and the rust. (I've only had it a 3 weeks.) It doesn't seem like a big issue now, but I'm wondering how all of you would handle it? (I also fired off a note to Van's.) I'm thinking applying a rust converting primer followed by a rust inhibitor both from a rattle can. I've attached a couple of pictures from either end of the tube.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6114.jpg
    IMG_6114.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6118.jpg
    IMG_6118.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 94
Treatment

It's good that you caught it now while it's only light surface corrosion. I would try to remove the corrosion with a small rotary wire brush or abrasive pad and then apply a steel primer followed by an enamel top coat (both from rattle can). The top coat will help seal against future corrosion better than just primer, which is generally porous (if it's not 2-part epoxy primer).

It's good that you caught it now while it's only light surface corrosion. I would try to remove the corrosion with a small rotary wire brush or abrasive pad and then apply a steel primer followed by an enamel top coat (both from rattle can). The top coat will help seal against future corrosion better than just primer, which is generally porous (if it's not 2-part epoxy primer).

yes, these are good words.

Back