What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coax crimping

larryMar

Well Known Member
I know an A&P who thinks that someone is a fool to crimp there own com antenna RG400. I think that it may bean extreme position.... Is it that hard to do, or is it that easy to mess up? Shouldn't this be a simple process?

What do you think...., I paln to do it myself, any tips, or am I nuts?

Thanks,
larry

Get the right tools, both a proper coax crimper and a coax stripper. Take your time, follow the instructions for the type of connector (BNC or TNC), and be sure you don't get a loose strand from the shield into the area with the center pin and thus short it out.

Suggest you practice on both ends of a short piece of RG 400 with a couple of BNC connectors, and then check for continuity using an ohm meter of the center conductor at both ends, of the shield at both ends, and that you do not have any continuity between the center conductor and shield. If all is good, you should be good to go with your actual antenna runs.

Also suggest you leave a few inches of extra coax at each end of the cable, so if you do make a mistake or suspect a short, you can cut off the connector and crimp on a new one.

Oh, and I would suggest you use a quality brand connector like AMPHENOL. Avoid inferior/unknown brands available for less - the small savings isn't worth it.

Regards

Thanks All,

No surprise here. I made the coax for the GDL82 and it has been fine for a couple years now. I do plan to do the com antennas, but after his comments- I thought smart money would ask about the comms.

Thanks

It's not magic. You just need the right tools. Decide which type of connectors you are going to use and then check for the crimper die size requirements. That's all there is too it. Prepping the end of the coax can be slightly tricky. Care is all that is needed though. Make sure you don't nick the center conductor.

I just bought a set of tools for this. You can buy a tool to prep the coax end. Make sure you get one that works for RG400. The one I bought was only about $15. I did buy an Amphenol crimper since I'm using Amphenol connectors, but these crimpers are pretty generic.

You can prep the coax with just a razor blade or an exacto knife and a pair of diagonal cutters, but its a lot more work.

The crimping isn't the hard part. Stripping properly is the key. There is a specific connector for every cable type, and it has dimension specs for stripping lengths. The crimping tools aren't expensive. I have one for the pin, and another for the outersleeve. But stripping properly can be a black art.....

The crimping isn't the hard part. Stripping properly is the key. There is a specific connector for every cable type, and it has dimension specs for stripping lengths. The crimping tools aren't expensive. I have one for the pin, and another for the outersleeve. But stripping properly can be a black art.....

The pro tools are pretty expensive, this is what I use, with dies comes to about 1K, definitely does a nicer job then the average homebuilder tool.
And I've redone lots of poorly installed connectors so I understand where your AP is coming from.
I make quite a few cables for folks in the area because I can do a better job, because I have better tools.
Like most tools, (and other things in life), you generally get what you pay for, plus I just like good tools!
A shorted or open coax can really cause major issues with your equipment (like cause failure) so be mindful of that.

227-944.jpg

Last edited:
The DMC HX4 also does a fine job on wire terminals - rings, spades, etc. Can be found used (less expensive) and Daniels will refurbish/calibrate it if needed (for a fee).

==dave==
N102FM

Find the Amphenol drawing for THE CONNECTOR(s) you buy

They are available online…… and different connectors (all BNC or TNC) can have different dimensions called out

Make sure your stripper can make the required dimensions,…..

Then practice on a few short pieces,….optical check before crimp,…. (Stray wires)
And ohm check after assembly

I know an A&P who thinks that someone is a fool to crimp there own com antenna RG400. I think that it may bean extreme position.... Is it that hard to do, or is it that easy to mess up? Shouldn't this be a simple process?

Thanks,
larry

Does he think they are handed down by God or something? They are properly crimped by human beings all the time. You're a human (assuming here...) so you can do it. Sure you might need to practice or watch a couple videos, but...

Just for fun - ask him his opinion on Lean Of Peak operations... :D:D

Video

Thanks,
larry

Super easy to do.. and the tools are fairly cheap.
https://youtu.be/xPyLeBIcf9c

This video shows the stripping tool, but I find it unnecessary, and just measure it like Stein does. Play back at 1.5 speed
https://youtu.be/lGmaUrs9ueY

Last edited:
I all ready had the Stein stripping tool, and ordered the Crimping tool this morning. Should be no problem, but will take care.

Thanks,

Back