What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Life for Garmin 696 Battery Pack

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Garmin 696 Replacement Cells for Battery Pack

Back story:
Garmin 696 installed in panel for 10+ years with battery installed. Yep, the battery appears to be toast and won't take a charge. When connected to the Garmin wall adapter/charger, the unit functions properly but won't take a charge... sometimes displays "battery missing" and sometimes after a few minutes of "Battery Charging" the unit displays "Charge Error". Opened up the battery pack and sure enough, 3 of the 6 cells measured <.2volts.

A replacement battery pack is $200 so it seemed prudent to at least search for availability of replacement cells. Found a match for all specs: BatterySpace.com P/N MH-4/3A3800B Qty 6 @ $2.90/ea. plus $11.39 shipping.

So there ya go... for less than $30 and some labor, you too can give new life to your Garmin 696 battery pack.

Last edited:
I had to solder in a new internal battery in one my 295s. Found the battery on Amazon, Garmin "didn't have one".

Let us know how your Garmin 696 battery replacement project went.
- How long new batteries run your Garmin 696
- Do you get any alarms with new batteries
- Does replacement batteries weight the same as original batteries

Ernie--

how did you get the original battery pack open to replace the old batteries? Mine appears very well sealed and I don't want to mess it up by opening it cave man style...

I've rebuilt a couple of 696 battery packs. Getting them apart just takes patience and popsicle sticks. After that, it's fairly simple. The cells are not difficult to source. In fact, I bought the last batch as an assembled pack for about the same cost as the individual cells. I just had to add the thermistor.

Do you know the specification of the thermistor. I bought a new battery pack but the thermister was glued to the old battery pack and was damaged when I tried to remove it. Thanks

Measure the resistance of the thermistor at various temperatures and you can probably figure it out.

Or post results, and somebody here can figure it out.

New batterie pack?

Folks,

I looked for a replacement battery pack, and found the NIBP730 medical monitor batterie pack that has all the right specifications, 3800mAh, 7.2V , an apparently the right size, and also the third white wire for temperature monitoring. Seems to be a 10K thermistor connected to GND.

Any of you have tried that reference?

Available on Amazon for example... Just look for NIBP 730 monitor battery, and pricings can be as low as 35$.

Just one example :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194012572582

Last edited:
Confirmed...

Hi,
I ordered that battery pack for medical monitors, and it is the right one. It has the proper NTC resistor. About 10K at 20 degrees C, and about 5-6K at 45 degrees C. I measured that on the genuine Garmin pack, as well as this pack.

So, we have a way cheaper replacement battery insert, and hopefully, medical monitor devices have a longer lifetime, which may help to get replacement battery packs for quite some time.

Attachments

• NIBP730.jpg
    NIBP730.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 292
VAF is great - Garmin GPS 695 battery replacement

Vansairforce forum is great.

I already bought a new battery for the 695 and paid it around 200$. However, the unit remained stuck due to an airstrip map upgrade, after a flight. I switched it off with the upper power button, but it was not enough. A persistent feeble map on the background should have suggested to me that the unit was still sucking energy. On the following flight I found the battery was completely drained and so it didn't take the charge any more.

So, I wanted to buy a new one, but the suppliers wrote me the product was backorder or hazardous (Spruce.com quoted me a 500$ shipping to Italy :( )

So, the forum was resolutive! For the EU customers, I transcribe the correspondent link:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01CPHY4PW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again.
Camillo

Back