What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans FAB dimensions

Dragonfly

Hi all,

I'm after some dimensions on the new FAB to suit an O-320. I am looking at a fitment for another aircraft and I don't have easy access to one for measuring.

Ideally after the width at the filter housing, length from front to back, height at filter housing, rough idea how 'out of round' the filter housing. A picture with as many dimensions as possible would be excellent.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. I assume this is for your dragonfly?

Starting point the filter in the 320 airbox uses
K&N E-3260 filter (320 160 HP)
Height 2.5 in (64 mm)
Inside Diameter 5 in (127 mm)
Outside Diameter 6.375 in (162 mm)

The filter for the Lyc 360 airbox uses
K&N E-3450 (360 180 HP)
Height 2.5 in (64 mm)
Inside Diameter 6.25 in (159 mm)
Outside Diameter 7.75 in (197 mm)

I have a 360 airbox but not the NEW version which is new to me. Reading Van's Service Instructions I don't think there is a difference in size. They also have reduced the standard FAB's to two. Many use FAB360 on IO320. This is what I measure (actually dimensions are slightly smaller, I rounded up) FAB 360

FAB360.
Height 3.75"
Width at widest part 8.75" and snorkel part 3.5"
Length 16.25" but can be cut back 3 to 4 inches.

What is the FAB320 size? I suggest same height, slightly more narrow and about same length.

Here are the Service letter (19 pages long) with sketches which should help you
https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/filtered-air-box-fab-instructions/

There is also a BOTTOM alternate air door Van added to install on the FAB. You can look that up, but I believe you have to buy the Alt Air Door separate. This is not the "Carb Heat" door that closes off the inlet to draw air from inside the cowl.

Last edited:
FAB 320
rough housing measurements:
Width 8"
Length about 15"
Depth about 3 1/4"
Center of carb throat to front edge of snorkel about 10"

Welcome to the forum. I assume this is for your dragonfly?

Starting point the filter in the 320 airbox uses
K&N E-3260 filter (320 160 HP)
Height 2.5 in (64 mm)
Inside Diameter 5 in (127 mm)
Outside Diameter 6.375 in (162 mm)

The filter for the Lyc 360 airbox uses
K&N E-3450 (360 180 HP)
Height 2.5 in (64 mm)
Inside Diameter 6.25 in (159 mm)
Outside Diameter 7.75 in (197 mm)

I have a 360 airbox but not the NEW version. Reading Van's Service Instructions There is no difference in size but the base plate is offset to account for Carb not being on Center-line of engine (and airplane/cowl). So you angle the airbox. However there was clearance issues and the offset base plate gains clearance to the cowl. In the past many use FAB360 on IO320. This is what I measure (actually dimensions are slightly smaller, I rounded up) for my FAB 360:

FAB360.
Height 3.75"
Width at widest part 8.75" and snorkel part 3.5" wide
Length 16.25" but can be cut back 3 to 4 inches.

What is the FAB320 size? I suggest same height, slightly more narrow and about same length. However I don't know about the NEW FAB's?

Here are the Service letter (19 pages long) with sketches which should help you
https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/filtered-air-box-fab-instructions/

There is also a BOTTOM alternate air door Van added to install on the FAB. You can look that up, but I believe you have to buy the Alt Air Door separate. This is not the "Carb Heat" door that closes off the inlet to draw air from inside the cowl.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

The Dragonfly actually refers to an aeroplane I used to fly a few years back, de Havilland DH90 Dragonfly. The aircraft I'm looking at fitting the FAB to is actually a Pitts Special.

Those dimensions will help a lot, I can even mock up an air box out of cardboard to determine fit from that. Excellent.

Once again, thanks very much.

Back