What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar door rubber strips

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
A while back, there was a thread related to the rubber strip underneath bifold hanger doors. someone had a nice source for that rubber strip. Of course now I can't find that thread so if somebody could help me I would really appreciate it.

I can't help with the thread you are looking for but I just replaced mine this weekend.
Since I had it readily available I used Garlock baffle seal, which is a bit stiffer than the original (almost 20 year old) seal so it works a bit better for my installation.

I have had good luck with old fire hose.

Also, used foam pipe insulation split in half.

I have a 40' bifold hangar door that I attached "pool noodles" to. They compress and form fit to the hangar floor. The door bottom bellows in-and-out with wind pressure. The "pool noodles" have been in place over six years and show no need of replacement.

A while back, there was a thread related to the rubber strip underneath bifold hanger doors. someone had a nice source for that rubber strip. Of course now I can't find that thread so if somebody could help me I would really appreciate it.

Weird as I started that previous thread and I cant find it either:confused: Anyway I ended up buying a roll of treated tarp covering, cutting it into strips that I folded in half and screwed to the edge of the doors, seems to be working fine and I plan to put it on the bottom of the doors also. It is flexible enough to not impede the doors movement but seal out the weather.
Figs

I can't help with the thread you are looking for but I just replaced mine this weekend.
Since I had it readily available I used Garlock baffle seal, which is a bit stiffer than the original (almost 20 year old) seal so it works a bit better for my installation.

Now that would need a very big lunch box..........:eek:

Used conveyor belt 18 inches wide screwed to the bottom of the door and looped around to the back vertical side Inside the hangar and screwed. This way keeps you from having to take the tin loose and shoving the edge of the seal behind it.

Pool Noodles

I have a 40' bifold hangar door that I attached "pool noodles" to. They compress and form fit to the hangar floor. The door bottom bellows in-and-out with wind pressure. The "pool noodles" have been in place over six years and show no need of replacement.

My bi-fold is over 20 years old. 10 years ago I replace the rubber with new rubber from Schweiss. Then I took pool noodles and slide them inside the new rubber and they have worked like a charm ever since.

I just run a self threading bolt/with washer thru the noodle into the door frame. Let the bolt pull thru the first layer to catch the layer against the door frame.

The noodles are pretty tough and they are cheap at the local hardware store.

Total seal but leaking on the corners by the rollers

U seal from Diamond Doors.

I just installed a 50 foot piece on the bottom of my door. They have a couple of options depending on your gap so that it fits good. This is similar to what's on the bottom of our garage doors north of the 49th parallel and Diamond had the best price around.

I've been able to seal up tight the top, sides and the bottom of my door.

Just in the corners on the bottom where the rollers come down on the bottom.

Has anyone had success there?

Thanks

Tim

Hangar door seal

A retired fire fighter at our airport used "old" fire hose for his hangar door seal. There are now several hangars with them. Since fire hoses are always neatly coiled it is a simple matter of cutting the hoses at the coiled edges and attaching them to the door. They are very shout and will provide years of excellent service. Fire hoses have a very short shelf life for fire fighting purposes and are replaced after only a few years in service. A quick check at your local fire house might hold an expired hose.

CT Brietigam
RV-6XXL

Try "northshorecommercial door .com" 1(800)783-6112
If you could E-mail them a picture I am sure it would help.

That looks like it may be found at McMaster Carr. Great supply house for comercial materials. On line order and sale. No problem sales to individuals in any quanity.

Back