What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Advice

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Planning a Dynon Skyview Classic 10” screen and a D10A as my standby/backup. Not real fond of the split screens on the Classic for engine instruments. Looking for pros/cons on using the Skyview with the EMS-D10. Same sensor package? Is it possible to have the engine info go to both the EMS-D10 and the Skyview for redundancy? Already have EMS-220 module, am I about to waste money?

TIA

I would chat with Marc from northwest avionics. He could guide in the right direction

Compatability

I'm "reasonably confident" that Skyview displays cannot connect to D-series displays. Even the Skyview Classic and the Skyview SE displays cannot connect in the same network...

Have you purchased the displays already? Dynon has discontinued selling EFIS-D10A. Also, Skyview Classic displays are not currently available (November 2021) per Dynon website, due to "global component shortages".

The engine sensors aren't generally shareable between two EMS, so they will need to connect to either EMS-D10 (directly), or to EMS-220 (for the Skyview Classic to display the engine info).

If you've already got the displays, then you could use the 10 inch Classic screen for EFIS/navigation and the EMS-D10 for engine monitoring. There would not be any EMS failover redundancy, though, and the EMS-220 isn't required for this option.

Last edited:
In our RV-10 we had a 10" Dynon in front of the pilot and a 7"on the co-pilot side. We were four pilots in this aircraft. All four pilots if sitting in the co-pilot seat would monitor the pilot's 10" screen rather than the 7" in front of you as the 10" screen was much easier to see. A 7' screen mounted closer to you as in a Supercub was fine to see, but the screens are farther forward in a RV.
As for split screens , I fly both my aircraft now on split screens (1/2 and 1/2) monitoring engine. I have a Garmin for GPS. I also have a10" classic for the co-pilot.

“I would chat with Marc from northwest avionics. He could guide in the right direction”

— I speak with Marc quite a bit. Hoping to give him a break :)

“Have you purchased the displays already? Dynon has discontinued selling EFIS-D10A and EMS-D10. Also, Skyview Classic displays are not currently available from Dynon due to global component shortages.”

— I currently have the D10A as primary and will move it to backup. Have the 10” Classic and EMS220 in hand as well.

I’m having trouble getting the EMS-D10 to fit so may stick with just the 10” Classic. The thought of a separate screen for the engine just appeals to me for some reason. Thanks for the words.

... Not real fond of the split screens on the Classic for engine instruments. ...
It's not possible to share its sensors with the EMS-D10 or a different standalone EMS. But I would encourage you to give it a further trial; eventually you may get used to it and even like it.

The reason I say this is that the split screen Dynon SkyView EMS has the advantage of superb integration with your flight instruments and moving map. Just off the top of my head "the NM per gallon of fuel" indication, audio annunciation of warnings, and fuel remaining at destination are some of these.

At 20% of the screen, the EMS portion of the SkyView display is not terribly hard to live with and you can cram a lot of info into it by using smaller widgets, shrinking the ginormous EGT/CHT one, and eliminating the flap position indicator (a full-sized one is available on the left and right wing root <g>).

Here's a screenshot of the configuration I use for my 20% EMS screen showing just how much info it's possible to show there. I'm particularly fond of NM per gallon, Hobbs, and time of this flight.

Attachments

• EMSscreen.png
    EMSscreen.png
    695.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Dynon EMS D10

Good morning all,

The D10 EMS units are still available from Dynon and there are no indications of their discontinuing them as of now, that I am aware of. I offer the EMS D10 at $1530.00 plus shipping and the same discount on all other Dynon avionics as well.

100537-000 EMS-D10, Instrument Only (Includes EMS-D10: 100417-000,
Accessories Pack:100446-000, Mounting Accessories: 100351-000)

If anyone needs help with their Dynon panel feel free to call as many times as you like, I am available to help when needed or just call to let me know how your project is going.

Thank you to all who have purchased from me previously and to those of you who have offered the positive comments, I really appreciate your support.
Marc
Northwest Avionics
www.northwestavionics.com

compatibility

I installed a Skyview Classic 10" screen and a EMS D-10 for exactly the same reasons you are thinking. I am happy with the decision, except the only negative I have experienced so far is I cannot monitor "% Power" because you need an OAT sensor and a GPS altitude connection. The OAT sensor is no problem as I can add a second OAT sensor for the EMS, but best I have been able to determine the Skyview and the EMS cannot communicate to get the altitude reading.

Dynon availability

Good morning all,

The D10 EMS units are still available from Dynon and there are no indications of their discontinuing them as of now, that I am aware of. I offer the EMS D10 at $1530.00 plus shipping and the same discount on all other Dynon avionics as well.

100537-000 EMS-D10, Instrument Only (Includes EMS-D10: 100417-000,
Accessories Pack:100446-000, Mounting Accessories: 100351-000)

If anyone needs help with their Dynon panel feel free to call as many times as you like, I am available to help when needed or just call to let me know how your project is going.

Thank you to all who have purchased from me previously and to those of you who have offered the positive comments, I really appreciate your support.
Marc
Northwest Avionics
www.northwestavionics.com

The Dynon website previously showed that EMS D10 was discontinued but checking again today it shows availability so I have corrected status in above post.

Do you know any more than is on Dynon website about availability for Skyview Classic and Skyview SE displays and when they are planned to become available again? The Dynon website today also states that ADAHRS 200 and 201 are currently unavailable, is that correct? A few days ago it was only the ADAHRS 201 that was unavailable. I realise many manufacturers are struggling with parts and supply at the moment.

Back