What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy indicator

Ron B.

Well Known Member
We have a G3X and are testing the canopy warning on the panel. With the canopy open we get that wording, but with it closed and latched we get "Check Canopy". Doesn't seam the wording I would use for canopy closed. Would anyone know if this is a Van's wording or Stein as they made the panel. Perhaps it's the avionics tech we had hired who did this.
Thanks

You can put any text you like associated with a discrete input going active (hi or lo)

Details in the installation manual.

Not being tech savvy at all , I cannot even find an install manual that talks anything about this. I will call Garmin to see if they can help.

but what if you forget to look at your canopy indicating light or it has a malfunction. better to put the canopy closed check in your checklist twice in different places and always follow the checklist. it doesn't miss.

Last edited:
but what if you forget to look at your canopy indicating light or it has a malfunction. better to put the canopy closed check in your checklist twice in different places and always follow the checklist. it doesn't miss.

Sure , have it on your check list. But what about on a three hour flight the rear mechanism broke ( it's mechanical and things do happen) and the pins creep out. Your check list will not help you but the panel warning would. Good to have both.
It's working , just the wording is incorrect in my opinion. Stein himself agreed but wasn't able to help get it corrected over the phone. I will contact Garmin.

Oh , I found the manual , but where in it does it address how to change the phraseology I'm looking for?
But thanks

Ron, download that install manual (Rev P) and go to page 35-188, section 35.4.32.26 Discrete Inputs. It talks about User-Defined Alerts and how to configure them

Cheers

Sure , have it on your check list. But what about on a three hour flight the rear mechanism broke ( it's mechanical and things do happen) and the pins creep out. Your check list will not help you but the panel warning would. Good to have both.
It's working , just the wording is incorrect in my opinion. Stein himself agreed but wasn't able to help get it corrected over the phone. I will contact Garmin.

OK, I stand corrected. hey, fix those door latches.

Back