What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thailand needs another RV

chrispratt

Well Known Member
I think there’s at least one RV flying in Thailand, and there’s hopefully one more coming. Last Thursday I had the pleasure of meeting a 737 pilot for the Thailand subsidiary of Lion Air (yeah, that Lion Air). He was in Dallas with his wife taking some R&R due to Covid reductions in flying and had seen a post on Facebook showing me taking a couple of friends for first flights. He was interested in finding out more about what is involved in building an EAB aircraft, etc. etc.

So, after boring him to death showing all my build manuals, photos, blueprints, etc., I invited him to fly with me to see how he likes an RV. By the time we got back, he had an RV grin.

For me it was pure fun to encourage someone new to our experimental world to get involved and to highlight the RV family of aircraft. As he was leaving, I gave him a list of websites to look at starting with vansairforce.net and, of course, he received one of my custom RV hats – reserved for those who fly with me. He’s headed home this week to explore the rules in Thailand for EAB and promises to get back to me with what he finds.

Happy flying, my new Thai friend.

Here’s what a typical RV engine installation looks like.

Cockpit checkout

Yes, this fits.

Ready to go. Check.

Responds a lot quicker to control inputs than a 737

I think I see an RV grin there.

Complete the flight with some world-famous fried chicken at Babe’s in Roanoke, Texas.

We know of another builder in Thailand waiting on his RV8 kit.
Tom

Good. Maybe the two of them can hook up at some point. I thought for sure I read a post about a competed RV-8 in Thailand a few years ago, but haven't been able to find it in the archives.

Chris

I remember a Thailand RV4 many years ago in the RVator... There could be more than one or two already. Sounds like a Thai VAF.. Good luck!!!

BTW I vacationed in Thailand with my girl friend a few years ago. Beautiful country... and lovely people. The Thailand greeting Sawatdee-krap or -kah and the Wai (Palms together like praying brought to center of chest with a nod) and lots of smiles... Very nice people, great food, lots of history and culture to explore, and the prices of nice hotels a bargain.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder what the legal loopholes and restrictions are on EAB in Thailand.

I'm probably looking at moving to APAC region in the next few years. Work probably wants me in Singapore, future MIL wants me in Taiwan (but there are WAY to many rules in Taiwan even though the people are great), but Thailand is high on my list.

I already know I can't take my rodded Porsche 930 with me, but I'm hoping to go somewhere I can own/fly my own plane, RV preferably.

Anyone really know?

Back