What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hall effect current sensor issue

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
The black sensor part has come loose from my hall effect sensor. It looks like it's kind of just jammed in there. Anyone have something similar happen? Looks like it can just be epoxied in there, but happy to get any hints.

CS-01-450x450.png

Last edited:
same thing happened to my hall effect sensor that is mounted to a slick mag. I simply repotted it with epoxy. good for the past 7 yrs. different design but same issue.

CA glue worked on mine.

I used a wine cork to make a wire locator to keep the sensed wire in the center of the pickup, also keeps the strain off the pick up wires that could happen if the ring was allowed to float around.

Attachments

• SUNP0010.jpg
    SUNP0010.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 144
  • SUNP0012.jpg
    SUNP0012.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Mine hasn't worked for about 10yrs. I guess I kinda' just abandoned it in place :).

Mine came apart at 500 hrs. I did attempt to re-glue it, but if the alignment isn't correct, it produces some inaccurate indications. I ordered a new one from Acft Spruce and due to improper package (crushable envelope) the first two arrived with the sensor blocks bent over and the wires pulled out. The third one came on a box and was okay. The sensor is a bit fragile, I put a rubber grommet on the inside to hold it in place on the wire and reduce the exposure to vibration and a tie-wrap around the exterior to put a slight compression on the ring to hold it together. Stein makes a robust current sensor block which might be a better long term solution.

FWIW; I have used the GRT Hall Effect sensor for 5+ years and it is still going strong.

When I first installed it I thought the wire connections going in to the sensor looked a bit flimsy for the application so I "beefed it up". I filled the gap between the sensor and the cable with high temp RTV and made sure the RTV covered where the wires entered the sensor. This made for a better mechanical brace and helps absorb vibrations. It doesn't look pretty but it has worked very well for me.

Here are some pics of what I did. :cool:
20210903_113329.jpg

20210903_113430.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's epoxied in place - I'll keep an eye on it. I can thankfully see it via the oil door.

Back