Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 AM

Default New Product: Whelen LED landing light for your rectangle ~ Duckworks lights

For many years, countless RV's have been operating with various halogen and quartz rectangle lights in their leading edges. This new Whelen LED landing light product is a direct drop in replacement for those and provides more light for you out front, with a low LED light power draw, in a form factor that is a very nice drop in replacement. Simply remove your lens, unscrew your light, crimp on a couple terminals to your wires, and screw this light right in. It utilizes your existing light mounting structure between the ribs and just replaces your rectangle quartz or halogen light with an inexpensive LED drop in solution. You may have seen Paul Dyes recent thread on his install of these. If your lens is getting old, fogged out, or cracked, you can also order a replacement leading edge lens kit as well.
The most frequent question I get with this light is "How bright is it?" Well I would characterize it as "more than adequate." The rectangle halogen quarts of the past I would put into the "adequate" category. This light in the "more than adequate" category, and the round light Whelen PAR 36 LED's as "Really Good." So this product falls in the middle. A very nice middle of the road solution to get you into the low power, quiet, long lasting, LED landing light, at a fraction of the cost of other solutions, with the quality of light you have come to expect from Whelen. Until Friday, Ill credit back your shipping CONUS if you order 2 or more.
Holler if you have any questions. Added some new videos in the store.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM

Default Just installed mine today!

Kahuna,

I bought my replacement lamp and installed it this morning. It went very well although I knew that I was in trouble when the directions said that it was easy and could be done in 10 minutes. It was easy but, as usual, challenges popped up-none of which were the kit's fault. It looks great and is BRIGHT!

Thanks for the great product.

John
RV-8
Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 PM

Default Flasher...

Looks great but I am unable to figure out if flasher (B&C style) would work with these... Any insight?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Owen View Post
Kahuna,

I bought my replacement lamp and installed it this morning. It went very well although I knew that I was in trouble when the directions said that it was easy and could be done in 10 minutes. It was easy but, as usual, challenges popped up-none of which were the kit's fault. It looks great and is BRIGHT!
Thanks for the great product.
John
RV-8
John, On the "challenges that came up", could any of the challenges have been helped with something in the kit or instructions? In other words, anything I can do differently to improve your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airzen View Post
Looks great but I am unable to figure out if flasher (B&C style) would work with these... Any insight?
Ive seen mixed results in the field. Wig Wag flashers(non-solid state) are very current dependent. They were designed with a particular current range to trigger the flashing mechanism. These much lower current draw LED devices often do not trigger the flasher. You cant even take anothers experience, as there are other factors that affect one persons success, and another failures of wig wag, even on the same flasher device. So my best advice on this is you can try it. Expect the worst (might not work), Hope for the best(It might). If it does not flash, you can always put in a purpose built device wig wag device for the LED lights. I sell a Whelen Solid State Flasher that was made specifically for this purpose. There is a video there of that device.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Landing lights

Will the new LED landing lights fit the RV 14. Vans does not have a landing light for the kit yet
Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 AM

Hi Jim,
This kit will fit the 14. This kit has the powerful Parmetheus PAR 36 Whelen landing light.

http://teamaerodynamix.com/shop/avia...hts-with-light

Last edited by Kahuna : 04-24-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:56 AM

Default Whelen rectangle LED landing light conversion

I'd like to convert the heavy electrical draw Whelen landing lights on my recently acquired RV6A with a drop-in LED conversion bulb and thought this old thread had the solution - but the link is dead. Does anybody know of an existing (affordable) solution? The Whelen brand LEDs are about $700/each at Spruce - which isn't in the budget.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:17 AM

FlyLED had several solutions that might work for you. not 100% drop in replacement, but pretty darn close, and Paul is a top notch guy to work with.
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 09-24-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbier99 View Post
I'd like to convert the heavy electrical draw Whelen landing lights on my recently acquired RV6A with a drop-in LED conversion bulb and thought this old thread had the solution - but the link is dead. Does anybody know of an existing (affordable) solution? The Whelen brand LEDs are about $700/each at Spruce - which isn't in the budget.
I replaced the Duckworks halogen with this Whelen light; https://www.wilcoaircraftparts.com/s...168501&Submit=
I did have to make a different mounting plate instead of using the one it can with, no big deal.
It’s very bright, don’t look at it when it’s on.

Last edited by Skid : 09-24-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
FlyLED had several solutions that might work for you. not 100% drop in replacement, but pretty darn close, and Paul is a top notch guy to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
I replaced the Duckworks halogen with this Whelen light; https://www.wilcoaircraftparts.com/s...168501&Submit=
I did have to make a different mounting plate instead of using the one it can with, no big deal.
Itís very bright, donít look at it when itís on.
Excellent - thanks to both of you for the info & link!. I'm going to remove one of the taxi lights tomorrow to verify the model and exact dimensions. Would love an exact fit LED replacement but the only thing I've seen is a Whelen LED (that might be the right one) that is $750 each!