What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to clean with?

rjm727

Well Known Member
Just purchased a previously built empennage and it has some very minor scratches and is generally dirty. I would like to clean it up. What to use and do I need to protect it with anything? Going into storage while I start wings...:D

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ray

Coleman lantern fluid is one option. Soap and water works too, if you can get it good and dry. I also use laquer thinner to remove felt pen marks.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Or you could go ahead and acid etch it, alodine and prime it with DP primer.
That is washing it with water diluted acid using a scotchbrite pad and rubber gloves (and a rain suit).
It's a much bigger step, but worth it. I did it on the inside. Now mine is getting dirty on the outside, and wishing I had done the full prep.
I'm installing systems in the garage at home before taking it to the hangar to put the wings on...

Good Luck with your building

Hey Ray,

We chatted a bit before the end of the year. If you're getting closer to pounding rivets, let me know!

If you just want to clean off grime, laquer thinner works nicely. Unless you're planning on a polished airplane though, I'd follow the previous advice to etch, alodine and prime with a good epoxy based primer. Happy to help with getting started with that if you need it.

Back