What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5, Aero 660, GDL50R Issues after software update

BVD

Well Known Member
So, I flew my -8 the other day and all was good in the world. Flew a route I regularly fly with the autopilot in heading and nav modes and used vnav for the arrival back home with no issues.

Next day I see there's an update for the 660, so I let that update via Wi-Fi. Everything rebooted and seemed good to go. The G5 and all attached components, the 660 and 50R, are all on the current software builds. However, on my next flight I have no ADS-B traffic in, the 660 says "Fail" on the traffic page. I can see that I have good comms with towers, and am getting wx, but no traffic. Also, I can't select the nav mode on the autopilot. When I push the button on the GMC507 nothing happens, no light, no nothing. All other modes work fine.

I double-checked the software on all devices, and they all look good. Tried to reinstall the update on the G5 and nothing happens when I put the sdcard in, I'm assuming because it's the same software version. I checked in Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight and both are reporting up-to-date software on the 660 and 50R.

I eventually looked at the 50R status screen on the 660, and I see that it's saying "Transferring Update" and a percentage, so I let it complete that. The 50R rebooted and the status screen comes back up, and it says, "Transferring Update" and the percentage is 1%. so, I let it go to 100% and reboot again, and same thing. Seems to be stuck in a transferring loop; however, the version is reporting the latest software build.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

So, I talked to Garmin, and they're trying to figure out what may be the problem and call me back tomorrow. Meanwhile, I borrowed my neighbor's 660 that's still on the last firmware version, and it works just fine. Now I just need to figure out how to either reinstall the latest firmware successfully, or roll it back. FYI...v3.82 r1 on the 660 is what broke mine.

660 will stick with older version

Thanks for posting, Bill. I have a 660 as well. Love the little box. Please keep us posted on how this works out. I may avoid the update. I have a connected G5 and autopilot and I don't need the hassle of breaking things.

A friend with a 660 and two G5's in his Cardinal had the same issue this week. I'll be following this to pass info to him, please let us know how it works out!

660 and Dynon

Updated my 660 to 3.82. Now the Dynon D10A says “ Waiting For GPS Fix”.
So the auto pilot won’t connect to the 660 for nav data. I tried different settings in the 660 but nothing works. My GDL39 is hard wired to the 660,weather and traffic still work.

Aera 660/GDL 50 Update Problem

So I have the same issue, sans the G5s or anything else. The Aera 660 updates it's firmware to v3.82 successfully. It then updates the GDL 50 to v2.19 successfully, but then the Aera 660 keeps transferring the update to the GDL 50 and updates it again and again, in an infinite loop.

I just have the Aera 660 connected to the GDL 50 and nothing else. Both are externally powered.

Garmin, any help here please?

Last edited:
GDL Software Update

So I have the same issue, sans the G5s. The Aera 660 updates it's firmware to v3.82 successfully. It then updates the GDL 50 to v2.19 successfully, but then the Aera 660 keeps transferring the update to the GDL 50 and updates it again in an infinite loop. I just have the Aera 660 connected to the GDL 50 and nothing else. Both are externally powered.

Garmin, any help here please?

Good Afternoon,

There is an error in the GDL software update that was included in this Aera software update, that is causing this to happen. We retracted the software download from our servers, and will have a new version posted shortly which will correct this behavior.

We apologize for any inconvenience this caused, and will have a fix available in short order.

Thanks,

Justin

Good Afternoon,

There is an error in the GDL software update that was included in this Aera software update, that is causing this to happen. We retracted the software download from our servers, and will have a new version posted shortly which will correct this behavior.

We apologize for any inconvenience this caused, and will have a fix available in short order.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the information Justin.

I hate to ask, but what does "in short order" mean, i.e., hours, days, weeks?

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

Thanks,

Justin

As an extra data point, I flew my RV-8 today after updating my Aera 660 to 3.82 last week. The Aera feeds my TruTrak ADI Pilot II autopilot. Well it did anyway, not anymore. The autopilot just showed three dashes "- - - " and could not be used in any mode (tracking and altitude hold were disabled in addition to the NAV mode).

To crosscheck the issue, I switched the autopilot to get input from my old Garmin GNC 250XL and it worked fine.

Please update us on when a fix might be available or how to reload the old software version. Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
Hi,

after installing software release v. 3.82 at my area 660 my GFC Autopilot is without NAV routing function. I checked with another area 660 which has version 3.81 installed and it works perfectly.
Frequency SL40 transfer to my radio on COM1 port works well while AP control on COM2 dosen’t. As serial data format I am using on both ports „Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out“.

How long would it take to fix this bug?
For the case longer, how I am able to downgrade to V. 3.81?

I think this is a serious error and Garmin should react soon to restore the old status, in an emergency with V. 3.81!

Kind regards
gflyer

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin,
I am in Italy and had the exact same problem. No NEMA communication after the update. However my contact with Garmin support did not go so well. The response I got was that I needed to talk with the interconnected device manufacturers (Uavionix and TruTrak), i.e. it must be a problem with their stuff, not Garmin.... The support individual also provided me with a list of the changes made under that particular update, stuff I already knew, but gave no further assistance or assurance that the issue would be looked into. He stated "I'm unable to provide more information, sadly....If you require further information on compatibility with your current setup, you may need to contact the relevant manufacturers, as I can only provide reliable information on Garmin equipment." It apparently takes the Van's forum to get help--thank goodness for the Van's forum!

Dave Magaw

Hi,

after installing software release v. 3.82 at my area 660 my GFC Autopilot is without NAV routing function. I checked with another area 660 which has version 3.81 installed and it works perfectly.
Frequency SL40 transfer to my radio on COM1 port works well while AP control on COM2 dosen’t. As serial data format I am using on both ports „Aviation In NMEA & VHF Out“.

How long would it take to fix this bug?
For the case longer, how I am able to downgrade to V. 3.81?

I think this is a serious error and Garmin should react soon to restore the old status, in an emergency with V. 3.81!

Kind regards
gflyer

We plan to have an update available this coming week.

Thanks Justin,
I am in Italy and had the exact same problem. No NEMA communication after the update. However my contact with Garmin support did not go so well. The response I got was that I needed to talk with the interconnected device manufacturers (Uavionix and TruTrak), i.e. it must be a problem with their stuff, not Garmin.... The support individual also provided me with a list of the changes made under that particular update, stuff I already knew, but gave no further assistance or assurance that the issue would be looked into. He stated "I'm unable to provide more information, sadly....If you require further information on compatibility with your current setup, you may need to contact the relevant manufacturers, as I can only provide reliable information on Garmin equipment." It apparently takes the Van's forum to get help--thank goodness for the Van's forum!

Dave Magaw

Hi Dave,

I apologize for the confusion, we have a large front line support structure, and they may not have been clear on the issues presented by the recent update. I will follow up with that group to review this call with them.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin. I have 4 aera 660's, one GDL 50, two GDL 52's and and one G3X system. All hard wired with bare wire kits. When I ran the aera 660 software update it would not send the update to the GDL 5x units when hard wired. So I linked an aera 660 to the GDL 5x via Bluetooth and that forced the update. GDL 5X's show version 2.19. After that whether linked via Bluetooth or hard wired with Bluetooth off (my nominal mode) shows the infinite update loop reported by others about the update.

As a data point with the GDL 52 hard wired to the G3X Touch the G3X GDL 52 device screen reports as updated to 2.19 and connected and working normally with no indication of uploading a software update. When the back seat aera 660 is docked in it's hardwired cradle it's datalink screen shows the GDL 52 as version 2.19 but with slow update transfer in progress message. All the while the G3X Touch still shows it all good on device screen. Also, the aera can no longer control SXM functions, although the G3X can.

So I flew to the Petit Jean RV Fly-In Friday and back today. This was an RV-8 with the aforementioned G3X in front seat and aera 660 in back seat. About once an hour I the flight deck would loose ADS-B in, SXM weather and music when the back seat aera 660 got done with the long update of the GDL 52 and instructed the GDL 52 to power cycle with a noticeable click in the audio circuit as it shut down and restarted. One of these events was when I was in the thick of DFW Class B and all the ADS-B targets disappeared. Did we really used to fly without the little triangular targets on our screen? This infinite update reboot loop would continue over and over again if the aera 660 was turned on and connected. G3X didn't seem to care less about the aera 660's issues but surely missed the GDL 52 when it was off. Meanwhile I was just hoping that one of the infinite loop updates wouldn't brick the GDL 52 due to an interruption of one of these update cycles.

Dana missed having GDL 52 / SXM control from the back seat. We gotta get this figured out to keep her busy back there instead of staring at the back of my head feeling like luggage. ;)

Last edited:
According to Post #7, Garmin thinks they know what the issue is and how to fix it. Seems that it takes time to fix the code, test it, get it signed off, package it for distribution, update the necessary distribution links and website verbiage, and release it to the masses (sometime this week, per Post #13).

Last edited:
With no mention yet of the differences between the G3X Touch behavior verses the aera 660 behavior, or the differences between hardwired vs Bluetooth. When engineers patch software the more ancillary information the better.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to post a reminder that we can't reply to messages sent via VAF Private Message to [email protected]. But I've gotten a couple of messages from people in this thread on this topic, so I figured I'd reply here instead. Justin said the fix for the Aera software will be posted online in the next day or two. Thanks for all the diagnostic information you've provided, and thanks for your patience!

Best Regards,
Katie

Sounds like Garmin need to work on ensuring proper Quality Assurance and beta testing instead of releasing broken software updates.

Beta testing

Sounds like Garmin need to work on ensuring proper Quality Assurance and beta testing instead of releasing broken software updates.

My practice is to always wait several months before installing any Garmin software update. Having previously served as an involuntary beta tester for them, I'm now happy to let others take on that role. :eek:

The new Aera 660 update is released, v3.83.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10040

aera 660 software version 3.83
as of September 19, 2022

Change History

Changes made from version 3.81 to 3.83:

• General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GDL 5X software version 2.19
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GPS software version 3.30

I updated my Aera 660 via Wi-Fi, and the 660 updated the GDL 50 (actually, the GDL 50 was already at v2.19 and it did not appear to get updated again).

The Aera 660 and the GDL 50 updated without a problem (i.e., no repeating update loop). It all seems to be working normally now.

Last edited:
I also download and installed the new Aera 660 V3.83. I had a GDL 52 that was at V2.17, and it correctly updated to V2.19 with no issues.

I also tested the 4 types of navigation output (NMEA Out 4800, NMEA Out 9600, Aviation In/VHF and NMEA Out 9600, and TIS-A Traffic In/VHF and NMEA Out 9600) on both serial ports to a G5 and everything worked well.

Steve

My practice is to always wait several months before installing any Garmin software update. Having previously served as an involuntary beta tester for them, I'm now happy to let others take on that role. :eek:

Good practice, it reached me on my holiday flight,....on the return flight home there was no more routing for my autopilot. Hopefully Garmin won't let the green banana grow on the customer in the future and do beta tests themselves. But thanks for the quick fix.

Updated the 660 this morning. All is working normal on a breakfast run today.
Good job Garmin.

All three aeras updated today to new release. Every aircraft back to normal operation both wired and Bluetooth with full GDL control and no update looping.

Thanks for the quick response Garmin.

Thank you Garmin support

I want to thank Garmin support for the help and patch for the Garmin Aera 660 and also the help with the Fly Garmin website. All issues now fixed!!

Thanks again!!
Dave Magaw

Tested mine today and the Aera 660 talks to my TruTrak ADI Pilot II once again. All seems okay now with 3.83 update.

Chris

Also tested shortly today and seams to be fine now. The routing is back at my GFC AP. Thanks for the communication via this forum with the Garmin support.

Last edited:
Software Revision

Thanks for the update everybody, glad everything is back up and running.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the update everybody, glad everything is back up and running.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin for the good support. I have a other question where I never got an answer.

„I saw a video the area 660 worked great together with Foreflight. Have a look. https://youtu.be/mBnv88S4tj4
Wondering why it does not work with SkyDemon? It would be great if area 660 / 760 can share and exchange data like Foreflight can do. The SkyDemon NAV app is very popular and widely used in Europe, especially in UK, Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy,... It would become too a backup solution to exchange flight plans between area devices series and SkyDemon. This is may a good reason to sell more devices into the market as a backup solution for less reliable tablet solutions.“

Thanks for letting us know if a interface to SkyDemon is in Garmins interest. The programmers of SkyDemon are willing to do.

Regards
gflyer

Back