What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyboy Accessories Poor Man's Cold Air Induction System

pylotttt

Has anybody used the Flyboy Accessories Poor Man's Cold Air Induction System?
Basically it is a wrap of the intake tubes to shield from exhaust pipe temps.

Would like to know if anybody is using it and if it does provide any performance gains.

Thanks

Curious too

Some time back I bought some exhaust wrap - to put on my intakes. Typical Jegs / Summit stuff. Never got around to installing it.

Many will say it makes no difference because of the small amount of time the intake air spends in the tube, giving little time to transfer heat to the air. Of course if that was 100% true, then 'cold air sumps' are a total waste of money.

Measured difference will likely be difficult as I was expecting less than a 1% performance gain. Once down there it is really hard to have back to back measurements that don't vary in DA, OAT, mixture setting or something.

Maybe on a Dyno this could be checked.

I installed it 4-5 years ago. Easy, no problems. Still is installed with no issues. Cannot measure any difference but did not try very hard. Just figured logically it should help….

The benefit of a cold air sump is in the much improved air path to the cylinders rather than the temperature of the intake air.

Many will say it makes no difference because of the small amount of time the intake air spends in the tube, giving little time to transfer heat to the air. Of course if that was 100% true, then 'cold air sumps' are a total waste of money.

I have a spare intake tube I intend to drill for a temperature probe. Point is, we need not guess.

The key feature of most "cold air" manifolds isn't cold air. It's an enlarged mounting flange to accommodate a larger fuel servo, usually a jump from the RSA-5 pattern (2.3125" dia) to an RSA-10 pattern (3.4375" dia).

The "cold air" label stems from the elimination of the through-the-hot-oil intake passages for a carburetor, a design feature intended to improve atomization. The horizontal intake typical on an M1B or angle valve is effectively a cold air system (air plenum segregated from the oil), but with a 2.3125 flange.

Hot intake for carb below. The orange tubes are in the hot oil.

Attachments

• Up Sumps.jpg
    Up Sumps.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Updraft Cutaway2.jpg
    Updraft Cutaway2.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 59
I have a spare intake tube I intend to drill for a temperature probe. Point is, we need not guess.

The key feature of most "cold air" manifolds isn't cold air. It's an enlarged mounting flange to accommodate a larger fuel servo, usually a jump from the RSA-5 pattern (2.3125" dia) to an RSA-10 pattern (3.4375" dia).

Looking forward to your measurment!
And also thanks for the education on the flange size. I wasn't aware of that!

Back