What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nuchrome cylinders

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I would like to get your opinions on nuchrome cylinders. I have an IO-540 with nuchrome cylinders. I have read what I could get. Keen to know the opinions and experiences of those who worked with them, flew behind them, longevity, problems etc. Worth keeping (1 hr bench run time on them)?
Thanks.
Johan

I have run some cylinders that had the bores plated with this chrome process. They work just fine as long as they are properly broken in, which does not happen often enough. If you don't want them you can give them to me, I will even pay for the shipping;).

I would like to get your opinions on nuchrome cylinders. I have an IO-540 with nuchrome cylinders. I have read what I could get. Keen to know the opinions and experiences of those who worked with them, flew behind them, longevity, problems etc. Worth keeping (1 hr bench run time on them)?
Thanks.
Johan

I have them on my O-235 and they are fine so far. I only have about 50 hours on them so far. I have put 3 quarts of oil in in those 50 hours. Obviously the first one went fairly quick until they were broke in. So I would say they are using about a quart every 20 hours or so.

Thanks

I've had interesting discussions with opinions from "they are good, easier to break in than plain chrome" to suggestions to replace them, they have lubrication issues and prone to breaking rings! (I'm not planning to!!) Could not get an idea if their longevity is similar to Nitrited steel barrels. Will see.
Thanks again.
Johan

Back