What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Slider?

Grum.man

First off, hello everyone I am new to the forums. I currently fly a Grumman AA1 Yankee and have been trying to decide what I want to build for several years now. I pretty much wrote off an RV because I don't find any of them to be particularly good looking airplanes with the exception of the Rockets and fastback 8's. And because they lack the cargo space I would really like to have. The 14 fixes one of my complaints and I suppose I could live with the other.

The trouble is I really dislike a tip-up canopy. The sliding canopy is my favorite part of my Grumman and I just don't think I could settle for a low wing without it. All of this brings me to my question, is anyone working on a slider conversion for the 14?

Welcome to VansAirforce John! :) The Fuse kit just came out, to my knowledge nothing from anyone on a slider mod YET.

Last edited:
I pretty much wrote off an RV because I don't find any of them to be particularly good looking airplanes

And that from a guy who fly's a Grumman Yankee... same type of constant cord wing, etc.....
Ever since the side by side RV's hit the skys, they have been being misidentified by people as Grummans...
go figure LOL:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
And that from a guy who fly's a Grumman Yankee... same type of constant cord wing, etc.....
Ever since the side by side RV's hit the skys, they have been being misidentified by people as Grummans...
go figure LOL:rolleyes:

I certainly didn't buy the Grumman for it's looks which I suppose holds true for a Vans. I bought it because it was cheap and fast. And you are correct, I flew into Tripple Tree a month or so ago and was called an RV all the way up till I touched down at which point a very embarrassed controller apologized :cool:.

this is cute. I didn't know what a Grumman Yankee looked like so I googled it. Got a picture of one on my oversized monitor as my wife brought me my lunch, she saw the pic and said "I hope you not thinking of building one of those!" I asked her why? she just said "look at it!" , made a funny face, and walked away! lmao

this is cute. I didn't know what a Grumman Yankee looked like so I googled it. Got a picture of one on my oversized monitor as my wife brought me my lunch, she saw the pic and said "I hope you not thinking of building one of those!" I asked her why? she just said "look at it!" , made a funny face, and walked away! lmao

Yea they are dumpy looking. Though the ones with the taildragger STC look much better. There are a few later model Lynx with the taildragger STC that IMO look better than an RV.

I doubt we will ever see a slider RV-14, but don't rule out a tip-up RV untill you have at least sat in one. Both configurations have advantages and disadvantages. The tip-up models have better visibility, better head room, easier access to the rear of the instrument panel and are easier to get in and out of. The -14 has even better visability and more head room.

I have always liked the way RVs look, but the current generation wing tip profile looks a little goofy. The old Hoerner style tips that were on the -6 looks much better in my opinion, but I would still take the current design for efficiency over looks.

I doubt we will ever see a slider RV-14, but don't rule out a tip-up RV untill you have at least sat in one. Both configurations have advantages and disadvantages. The tip-up models have better visibility, better head room, easier access to the rear of the instrument panel and are easier to get in and out of. The -14 has even better visability and more head room.

I have always liked the way RVs look, but the current generation wing tip profile looks a little goofy. The old Hoerner style tips that were on the -6 looks much better in my opinion, but I would still take the current design for efficiency over looks.

Is there anyway to hold the canopy up just a little while parked or taxing? If so how much ventilation do you get? The headroom isn't a concern for me and the cross bar doesn't limit that much visibility. I think the slider looks better my self but easy instrument panel access is a definite plus.

Is there anyway to hold the canopy up just a little while parked or taxing? If so how much ventilation do you get? The headroom isn't a concern for me and the cross bar doesn't limit that much visibility. I think the slider looks better my self but easy instrument panel access is a definite plus.

Yes. You can prop the canopy up using the aft canopy handle for parking and taxi. I'd say you get fair ventilation when taxiing. Not as good as a slider, but good enough.

Where the Tip-Up wins out is with visibility. It's far superior than the slider (and I fly both). You also have good access behind the instrument panel for inspections and maintenance.

Get up to the factory or sit in the -14A at then next show and give it a fair try.

Yes, you can modify your RV anyway you want. I built a slider RV6, and I would do it again. I just like that type canopy on the SBS better. But, I built an RV8 with the Showplanes fastback - not slider. I like the visibility improvement, especially in formation...... plus, it just looks better. If you want an RV14 with a slider, build one. That's what home building is about. Fabricate parts, look at other sliders, including the Grumans, and copy them. You'll have an original, and maybe others will want to copy yours.

If the room inside is not that big of a deal have you considered the 7 and the 9 with slider?

If the room inside is not that big of a deal have you considered the 7 and the 9 with slider?

I really really like the 9 but both the 7 and 9 don't have the luggage space I desire. I think the 9 is probably my favorite looking standard RV of them all. It is disappointing though that they aren't aerobatic. I'm not huge into doing them to the point of justifying an inverted system, but I don't want to never be able to do them should I change my mind some day.

What are you going to pack that you feel the -7 & -9's baggage compartments are too small?

A hundred pounds of "stuff" is a lot! My wife hasn't managed to overload our -9 yet.

The acro limitation the -9 isn't so bad. While there have been times I have wanted to pull mine up into a loop, I get over it every time I'm on final at 55 kts.

Come down to GMU tomorrow for the chapter BBQ lunch (10 to 1) and I'll let you try out the -9 for size.

Last edited:
What are you going to pack that you feel the -7 & -9's baggage compartments are too small?

A hundred pounds of "stuff" is a lot! My wife hasn't managed to overload our -9 yet.

The acro limitation the -9 isn't so bad. While there have been times I have wanted to pull mine up into a loop, I get over it every time I'm on final at 55 kts.

Come down to GMU tomorrow for the chapter BBQ lunch (10 to 1) and I'll let you try out the -9 for size.

I had planned on coming down for that but am getting a surprise visit from family from out of town on Saturday :(. I will PM you sometime though as I would like to have a closer look and sit in one sometime. Are you going to Triple Tree?

For me, weight isn't the factor so much as size. I have seen people pack a bike in the back of one but that doesn't leave room for anything else from what I can tell. I would like to be able to pack up some camping gear and bike, or have room for the dog and camping gear.

The luggage compartment looks smaller than my Grumman on the 6,7, and 9 and I already find my self wishing for more space for bulky, but not necessarily heavy items.

I'll see you at TT in a couple of weeks. I'll be working on the fuel truck Saturday morning.

space

I had a space issue when I had my -6 so I bought a pickup truck (Maule). I haven't hauled a small block yet but I did haul 3 fat people (me included) that equaled a small block. (on 180hp out of 1200ft strip). The Maule makes a great companion to the RV. They like to room together.

If you haven't done so already, take up the offer to fly a -9 or another RV design. If it really looks ugly to ya, I bet you have a change of heart when you get a hold of the controls.

Good luck on your search and check back in once you sit in one and fly it.
cj

I had planned on coming down for that but am getting a surprise visit from family from out of town on Saturday :(. I will PM you sometime though as I would like to have a closer look and sit in one sometime. Are you going to Triple Tree?

For me, weight isn't the factor so much as size. I have seen people pack a bike in the back of one but that doesn't leave room for anything else from what I can tell. I would like to be able to pack up some camping gear and bike, or have room for the dog and camping gear.

The luggage compartment looks smaller than my Grumman on the 6,7, and 9 and I already find my self wishing for more space for bulky, but not necessarily heavy items.

I flew my big-engined Yankee for over 2,000 hours and 23 years - and many other Grumman refugees are here in RV-land as well. The RV's will fly rings around the Yankee, carry more, fly much faster....RV's are where Grumman drivers go when the tire of their Yankees!

Looks are subjective of course, but gaining 50 knots in cruise on hardly any more fuel might tip your thoughts on what looks pretty..... ;)

Two thoughts from a guy that got his Instrument ticket in a Cheetah, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away?it one of the fist airplanes I flew after a 150. Boy was it a sports car by comparison?

1. Fly an RV (as an earlier poster suggested). The comparison will likely be as much of a leap as the Cheetah was to the 150, perhaps more! Prepare for the RV grin!

2. Have Rosie post a picture of what he gets into the back of his RV-6 when he goes to the Caribbean every other year!

OK, three thoughts. Your original post was a really, really bad pick-up line. Like being at a dance, and saying on the microphone, "you ladies are all pretty homely, but I'd like to dance with that one?"

But ya show moxy in handling the ribbing, so maybe we can let your taste in aluminum mistresses slide :p

Cheers,
Bob

From Rosie: This is NOT a weight & balance discussion....for the heavier trips, we put tools and other 'stuff' under our legs on the floor and also in the center space in front of the fuel selector (our feet bump all the stuff in the middle). I ALWAYS remain within CG down to, god-forbid, two (2) gallons of gas in each tank....

Luggage03.jpg

Luggage01.jpg

Luggage02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly didn't buy the Grumman for it's looks which I suppose holds true for a Vans. I bought it because it was cheap and fast. And you are correct, I flew into Tripple Tree a month or so ago and was called an RV all the way up till I touched down at which point a very embarrassed controller apologized :cool:.

Ya, he felt bad. Kind of like mistaking someone for a fighter pilot. "Aw sorry, I thought you were cooler than you actually are." ;)

I was climbing out at a constant 3200 fpm yesterday (solo, light load of gas, 230hp, etc etc). Even if my RV-8 was ugly, people couldn't see it long enough for me to care!

Like was said, don't rule out the tip up canopy. Having flown a few different fighters I can say the tip up is very much like the F-16. The completely unobstructed view is intoxicating.

Last edited:
IMHO, this is one of the prettiest looking airplanes on the planet ;)

IMG_7318-001.JPG

Baggage capacity could be a little low if your mission is to carry two persons and a dog plus camping gear too. I've had mine stuffed full of so much camping gear that departing to the north down this very runway towards that mountain that I was wishing for an extra 20hp, though. Still it did just fine.

I also have a grumann tiger but would buy rv14 if there was a sliding canopy available

As Mike said, "Welcome"!

What's the problem? Build one the way you want it. By the time you get to the canopy, you should have the skills to make a custom slider. You can always find someone local to do the welding.

Back